Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the RC 3.5 with Bilsteins 5100 Adj. put on my truck two days ago and the front height was the same before I drove it home.FL 43" FR43, Now I'm measuring FR42" FL41.5
So my question is do these kits with new shocks "SETTLE" any ? I moved my truck and measured again thinking the driveway wasn't level but got same measurements! Not for sure whats going on,Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Yes, they do settle. I would have drove it around a little before taking your original measurements. It's also typical of the front left being a tick lower than front right because of the "chevy lean".

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Springs that are 4 years old don't settle overnight, the spring is what carries the weight and should not change overnight. Plus I assume you had a alignment done with the lift so they should have road-tested the truck before parking it. My bet is the truck wasn't parked on a level area when you first measured it, or the snap ring on the adjustable shock slipped a notch.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Just sayin the shocks don't carry any weight, they just dampen the movement. One inch on one side and a inch and a half on the other side is a lot of settling, and not something to be considered as normal.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
wildchevy said:
Just sayin the shocks don't carry any weight, they just dampen the movement. One inch on one side and a inch and a half on the other side is a lot of settling, and not something to be considered as normal.
Ditto.

You shouldn't have lost height. Your front should be up at least 3". Hell, mine with the 2" level was higher than yours. Something isn't right at all. Did you take before and after pics?

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
09Chevyman and I have been talking back and forth about this thread as we are concerned with your dilemma. Along with what wildchevy has pointed out, the only thing I can suggest at this point if for you to take a couple pics of the front suspension and shock towers. Something either wasn't put on or is adjusted incorrectly.

Take your pics from in front of the control arms as well as from behind. Also, take pics of the top and bottom of the shock towers and post 'em up here so we can get a better look at what you're working with.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's not a big deal...

When you take the suspension apart everything gets decompressed.... and the spring has been stretched while the truck has been on the lift/jack stands... and the weight of the tire/wheel/suspension has been extending everything... then you took your measurements shortly after dropping the truck back to the ground... & things did not have time to settle & recompress...

Also I too have a little chevy lean... right about 1/2" lower on left side... the driver also sits on the left side.. & the fuel tank is on the left side...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.