Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well good and bad news. Rims arrived today and I had them installed. I love them... A little bit of rub somewhere down there, I believe on the plastic in the back of the wheel well. I'll trim it off and all should be good. I will take better pics tomorrow during the day.

BUT

Holy crap, they gouged EVERY SINGLE LUG NUT HOLE on the face of the rim. The center caps are totally screwed. I mean completely scratched to hell. But I can get over that, I GUESS. But a 1/4 gouge at every single lug nut?? Are you kidding me?

What should I do? I'm pretty sure it's gonna drive me nuts for the rest of my trucks existence.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would talk to whoever installed them. If no help there, I would call the manufacturer and find out why stock lug nuts scratch up their wheels. Thats ridiculous!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
What company installed them. I'd return tomorrow and ask for store mgr (document everything you do, names of people, dates, times what was said) explain you had these installed when you got home noted the problems and would like them to make it right by either repairing the wheels at their expense or replace the wheels again at their expense. Hopefully you didn't miss a notice on the wall saying not responsible for damage to custom wheels. Let us know.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would personally go back to the shop and tell em what happened.. Hold them responsible. I would be fighting to have em buy me 4 new wheels. see what they say and let us know. Dont back down. Tell em you be filing a claim in small claims court.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
+1, the shop damaged them, the shop should repair/replace them. That's one reason I hate aftermarket wheels. They are a PITA to get on without scratching them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't see anything about specific lug nuts. But I do have longer than regular lug nuts as it is. And Welcher, that would really suck if that sign exists. It was tire kingdom. Can't believe I went there but I figured they could handle switching some tires... Guess I was wrong. Slw, that's pretty much where I stand

·
Registered
23 Posts
the lugnuts didnt scratch the wheels, the moron w/ the air gun did it w/ the socket he used. there's nothing at all hard about putting custom wheels on w/out damaging them, u just have to not be lazy and give a damn, two traits tire kingdom employees dont have.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
^^^Exactly, most aftermarket wheels require you to use chrome sockets because they do not give you room to use an impact socket. Depending on the wheel, they also use different lug nuts. I prefer stock wheels because they are not such a PITA to install. Usually the aftermarket ones will not fit the center "hub" exactly (the hole in the wheel will be bigger than the hub) and you have to hold it centered until you get the lugs finger tight.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I agree with most of what everyone has said. Regardless of what happens, I would get some pro comp lug nuts. They look great with the wheel and the key that comes with them is small enough to fit into the hole properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is definitely not a good look... Did the manager tell you that happened before you left the store? When you purchase NEW WHEELS you want them looking like new wheels. Drum up your game plan; 1) replace my wheels, 2) repair my wheels and 3) discount on a set of tires the next time around. You shouldn't bear the scratches when you did nothing wrong IMHO.

+1 when the guy scrached the first time he should've stopped and evaluated the process (get them to make it right)!

·
Registered
650 Posts
The monkey with the impact gun obviously ran it right up against the rim, so it dug a little groove. This is exactly why you run them onto the threads carefully with the impact, and torque them on the ground with a torque wrench (the way every tire shop does it..). The shop just wasn't careful or paying attention to what the tool was doing to the rim.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had this same issue, when I had aftermarket wheels put on my GTO, the tire place scratched two of the wheels. I made the mistake of not watching the guy do the work, but I did check all wheels before I left and caught the damage. The manager did the work on my car and tried to claim he didn't damage them, but I took pictures while it was still in the bay and contacted the district manager over that store, and supplied him with the pictures, then met up with him one day to show him the damage in person. He agreed to cover two new wheels, I received the check a couple weeks later from their head quarters, I never got around to ordering two new wheels before I traded the car in.

Here is a pic of the one of the wheels, this was the worst out of the two

Good luck, and demand they replace everything that is damaged and reinstall new products or refund you what you paid to have them installed somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
And if the jackass was using an impact wrench to put them on, he probably didbn't torque them to spec and possibly warped the rotors

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.