Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a 2010 Ford F150 2WD and was pulling a 16' trailer with two pretty heavy lawn mowers... I suspect about 5,000 lbs with trailer, mowers and other equipment. We had no issues with the rear end sinking. I got a 2005 Silverado 1500 4WD thinking it would be fine for pulling the same trailer and equipment, however, the back end sinks down so low that it is pulling the front end up and making it dangerous to drive, as the front wheels are not getting good traction on the front.

So... I suppose either the shocks are worn out and maybe I need new shocks... or perhaps some sort of load leveler or helper? Is this common for a 2005 model? Any suggestions of what I need to do?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Not an expert, or a tower of anything much..but you could look into Timbren SES. I have them on my front side, and they improved overall ride quality and handling quite a bit, plus eliminated all sag from a plow I used a few times last year. It could probably help eliminate towing sag as well.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
+1

New shocks can help, but I've got Timbren's on both trucks. Typically with anything but the lightest trailer, they'll automatically engage, and keep the truck level without you having to mess with any air pressure. They're not as nice as airbags, but they're super easy to install. Once they're installed, they work on their own.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
There are also hellwig helper springs, they help to prevent squat also in the rear.

These are 2,500# helpers and there are also air bags that work well also.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Normally, if it sags that much that it became dangerous, you are overweight. Even with helper springs you still will be illegal. Check if you can reposition the mowers so you are not that heavy on the pole. 5000 Lbs trailer correctly adjusted should not bring a 1500 pick-up truck to it's knees!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea i pulled my buddies boat all summer, it weighed a little over 5000 lbs, had no issues pulling at all and didnt sag to bad. Didnt have any issues pulling it out of the water or anything, and my truck is only 2WD

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Check your tongue weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am covered on the weight, but have read plenty of others who have these older trucks where they make the front end a bit lighter than it should.

I realize it shouldn't be doing it, but it does, and several pictures I have seen here on the sight with travel trlrs hooked up look just like what mine looks like when loaded down. I would suggest any of those I have seen could be dangerous, yet they put spring helpers on there and it seems to have fixed their problem.

What is the difference between Timbren's and spring helpers?

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Timbrens are just rubber springs that install in the place of the existing bump stops. They're hollow, and made of rubber. The help springs are usually devices that somehow modify the existing leaf springs, either by adding a leaf, using a different style of leaf, or distributing the weight differently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... I just called Tembren and they recommended the GMRCK25S kit for my truck, supports up to 6,000 lbs. I like this method and the way it installs and works better than the spring helpers, and it appears to be less money shopping around. I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.