Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i switched from the 245/75/17 to 285/70/17 tires. Truck is a 2013 silverado 2500. Previous tire pressures were in the 60s/70s by the door sticker. These new tires are 65 psi MAX cold. So i have them around 60 right now. TPMS is going crazy. So i've read about the relearn thing but will it reprogram the system for the new tire max pressure.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It won't reprogram on it's own. The relearn per the manual is a PITA. If you're friendly with a dealer close by or there is a Discount Tire around they can program them for you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If they are going off telling you that the pressure is low, you need the dealer to reprogram the truck at a lower pressure. My 2012 was at 45 psi so I had the dealer drop it to 35 so I could run lower pressure without the TPMS system going nuts.

·
Registered
2014 LTZ 5.3 6 sp
6,878 Posts
Just curious >>> That seems like one hecka of a lot of air pressure >>> do you haul real heavy loads ??? my load range C's is inflated to 37psi all around >>> tire wear is even and ride isn't like a buckboard ...

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
You have two problems, first is the sensors need to be reset with the tool and the BCM needs to be changed with a laptop, or maybe a tech2 will still work to change the base pressure for the TPMS not sure as I haven't tried to change a 13 yet.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
^^^^ yeah that too. The TPMS are calibrated for specific ranges. When I got my truck mine were set to low. I had the dealer set them for the new pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was looking for a starting point , I read another post that said stay somewhere within 10% of the max to start. Whats strange is the stock tires had a ton more air pressure in them from the dealer. (smaller tire I realize but still they were way up there).

I do tow things but not that often, my trailer is around 6-7k loaded. My other trailer is probably 2500-3 loaded.

Im no tire expert but seems like dropping a 65lb max tire down to 35-45 would be too low. (advice appreciated on this one)

So basically go to a tire shop or dealer at this point are my options.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
I would just go to the dealer at this point, they can reset each sensor for you & recalibrate your TPMS for a wider range of pressures. In case you decide to raise or lower your pressures for certain reasons.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm running 50 psi front and rear on my E rated tires.
Sidewall only says 80 psi MAX
That is like driving on solid tires!
I put them at 50 and the ride is still a little "hard", but they are wearing evenly.
I could probably go to 40 psi and still get even wear, but I'm almost afraid to, tires cost way too much to be experimenting...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.