Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some quick information here...my 2000 GMC 2500 SLE got new tires the other day. Stock wheels were the 245's, then I went to the 265's at the same time I maxed out my torsion bars and then backing off a bit. I just now went to 285's (75-16") and they do not rub at all. 70psi in the front and 80psi in the rears. I will run them with this psi for now to see how I like them. I also had an alignment done.
Just wanted to pass the information that the 285/75-16 will fit with no rubbing and no cutting valance skirt, with torsion bars maxed.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
If your original tires were 245/75/16 and you went to 285/75/16 then also remember your speedometer will be off. Your speedometer would read 65mph now even though you are going 70mph.

Like 19trax95 said, do not fill the pressure up that high unless your loading your truck to the max.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would check the alignment as well. it does change when you mess with the torsion bars. don't want to ruin the new tires.

Reactions: Spectreniner

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unless your running max GVW at all times, you will want to drop those pressures significantly.

It'll ride way better and the tires will wear better.
x2

also, i run lower pressure in the back when empty. the rear of my truck is 1000 lbs lighter than the front. no need to run higher pressure on the lighter axle. when hauling or towing, i will air up the rear accordingly

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
873 Posts
x2

also, i run lower pressure in the back when empty. the rear of my truck is 1000 lbs lighter than the front. no need to run higher pressure on the lighter axle. when hauling or towing, i will air up the rear accordingly
X3 ^^^^^^^

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,791 Posts
bet you would like the ride better around 45-50 psi. Lets see a picture, we like pictures!

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your original tires were 245/75/16 and you went to 285/75/16 then also remember your speedometer will be off. Your speedometer would read 65mph now even though you are going 70mph.

Like 19trax95 said, do not fill the pressure up that high unless your loading your truck to the max.
Aware of speedo. I had 265's on previously. Yes, I will drop psi down..thnx!

·
Registered
955 Posts
good deal, I figured you would do that... your truck looks really good I hope you can fix the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is photo. These are Hercules Venture 285/75-16.
Torsion opened all the way; computer alignment done; no rubbing and cutting of valance under front bumper.
Garage put 80/70 psi. I will change to 60/50 and see how she rides.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,442 Posts
Regular cab truck, gas motor you'll likely be able to run 50 front and 45 rear no problem. I run that in my 15 crew cab diesel so a much lighter truck can definitely run that.

I'd do a chalk test to be sure, but I'd say you'd definitely be good with lower

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regular cab truck, gas motor you'll likely be able to run 50 front and 45 rear no problem. I run that in my 15 crew cab diesel so a much lighter truck can definitely run that.

What is a "chalk test"?

·
Registered
612 Posts

I'm currently running 55 fronts and 60 rears on my '18 gasser 2500

1 - 17 of 17 Posts