Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2012 Crew cab Silverado LTZ, Z71 with a 5.3. I had a 2010 Crew cab LT with all the extras on it before. Same engine and towing package. I've only had the new truck for 2 weeks and am loving it! Some nice up grades in this one. I'm going to a Nascar race in a couple weeks with the boys and its my turn to drive. Just wondering if there is anything I should be careful of or worried about pulling a trailer with a new truck? Should I baby it a bit, or driver like I normally would? Its a newer camper 19ft, no slides, but full gear for 4 guys at Nascar for a week? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well I would say whenever you are driving more than an empty truck around be more gentle with stops and starts if at all possible and make sure you have adequate turning radius with the trailer. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was towing with mine two days after I got it. I just took it easy the first few trips and never realy need to give it even close to full throttle when towing anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My company truck is an F350 Diesel, with tow ratings that are just stupid. (Pretty sure i could put a hitch on my house and pull it) anyhow, i have dragged around equipment trailers off road that weigh close to 20000 lbs. Our company policy is that we do not tow with a truck till it has at least 2000 km on it. The guys at ford tell us that for the first thousand k to avoid driving at a constant rpm for extended periods. I assume GM has a similar spec for engines. (as mentioned by JCunningham). The way we do it in the field is to manually drop a gear on the highway from time to time. We bought my wifes equinix brand new and all we did for her was to do the first couple of oil changes well befor the required time.
I am not sure how experienced you are with a trailer behind ya, but if you are new to it, you might want to drage it arround an empty parking lot to get a feel for how much the trailer cuts corners, as well as do some practice shots at backing it up.
Above all... Have fun and enjoy the new truck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in a similar situation...just bought a Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 and towing package. I bought it with 150 miles on it, and towed my 3700lb boat to the lake (20 mins away) when the truck had 230 miles on it. Then I read in the owners manual that you shouldnt tow anything before 500 miles, or drivetrain damage can result. What damage are they talking about?? I took it pretty easy towing...not hard starts or anything. It also says that once you start towing, for the first 500 miles of towing, you shouldnt exceed 50mph. What is the basis for this?? Seems pretty restrictive to me for such a tough truck

·
Registered
414 Posts
Kinda a stupid suggestion but I got mine and tried to hook it up to haul and had no lights. I was pissed. Turns out YOU have to hook up the power line to the fuse box under the hood even with the factory tow package installed. Seems pretty stupid that they install the whole package and then you have to finish it. They don't even supply the necessary nut! Anyone know why they do this?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
WPSPSS said:
Kinda a stupid suggestion but I got mine and tried to hook it up to haul and had no lights. I was pissed. Turns out YOU have to hook up the power line to the fuse box under the hood even with the factory tow package installed. Seems pretty stupid that they install the whole package and then you have to finish it. They don't even supply the necessary nut! Anyone know why they do this?
Say what?? I plugged my trailer in and I had lights on my TT w/o hooking any line up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, no Idea why. I found an article on line that told me that was the problem, otherwise it would have been back to the dealer bitching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts