Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been throwing the idea around to replace my current fog light bulbs with yellow halogen bulbs and also tint the housing lens yellow. Anyone run yellow fog lights? I've been thinking of doing this for a couple reasons. First because if they actually do help in bad weather it definitely benefit me. Because I always drive in bad weather in the winter to go to work and it's also deer alley. Second because my current fog light bulbs are purely cosmetic to match my headlights. My current fog lights are 5000k opt7 led. Don't get me wrong they match my headlights and my switchbacks perfectly but my headlights throw a lot light already and the fog lights really don't throw hardly any. I work for a local municipality and I drive plow truck in the winter. So sometimes when I'm going to work it could be in the middle of a blizzard. So I just was wondering if it would help at all. I definitely don't want to do hids in fog lights and I figured leds don't throw enough light. So that's why I said I would be using yellow halogens. But the down side is we can't go higher than 24-25 watts or risk melting the housing. The thought is to have the fog lights actually being used for what they are intended for. Thanks for help fellas.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
I installed a set of hella black magic lights behind the grill of my NNBS and installed PIAA yellow bulbs in them, they worked amazingly in the snowy weather. But yellow bulbs and tint might be a little much and hinder output. I would do one or the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'll just do the tint first then and run the halogen bulbs I had in them when I was running silverstar headlights. They seemed to put off more light than these LEDS. I read a post that another member posted and he says he does the film to all of his vehicles.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's one thing I miss about my 06, the fog lights could handle a higher wattage bulb. These nnbs can't handle much over 25 watts or you risk melting. I think the nbs was somewhere around 40 watts or more.

· TOTM
7,799 Posts
I ran a 6k HID in my low beams with a 3k HID in my fogs in my 06 for awhile. Gave a nice mixture of light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

· Registered
09 silverado LTZ 4x4
309 Posts
Big fan of yellow fogs particularly in heavy rain or snow.

I retrofitted a set of Hella micro DE fog lights into my 09 with 3000K HID bulbs. They work rather well for moderate fog, but when you have night fog or snow so thick that even low beam headlights actually impede your vision , that's when I decided to add the Amber LED spotlights.

Attachments

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I really like those morimito led fog lights. Don't have the $200 for another mod right now though. I'm not convinced that the halogen bulbs or the opt7 led bulbs I have with the yellow film over the housing is really going to help that much. Thought about running a 25 watt hid kit but don't feel like blinding people. Not sure what I'm going to do. But for now I will use the yellow film and try the bulbs I have on hand and see if it makes a difference.

· Registered
165 Posts
Subd. Really need to do something with my fogs and curious what kind of results everyone is getting.

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I have had 35watt 3000k HID's in my fogs for about three years now. The color is great for heavy snow, just turn off my headlights and run the fogs so i can see the edge of the road easier. I only run them in heavy snow so in three years i have run them maybe 20 times and no melting but it is a concern.

On my wifes SUV i recently put in yellow LED's since replacement fogs on her car are in the 150+ range not 40 like our trucks. They are pure yellow output, no filter, and im kind of regretting going that route. I dont know how they perform since we have had a really mild fall so far but they are much darker yellow than the HID fogs in Hank the Tank.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya I'm not convinced just adding the film is going to help that much. When I turn on my fog lights now when I'm driving down the road you can't even tell when they come on. But I do have 35watt hids in my lows. I recently switched one of my opt7 leds fog light bulbs with a 5k halogen bulb. So I have one led in one and a halogen in the other. They are equally as bright as each other. So that's why I'm not convinced the film will really do anything. I'm thinking of going with 5k 25 watt hid kit for the fogs and then putting the film over them. Since I only would use them in bad weather anyway. Because currently I don't use them. Because they do nothing. That way too if I decide I don't like the yellow film I can take it off. Or just ordering the 3k hids and be done with it. I don't want to spend a fortune and there is only a few companies that even offer 25 watt hid kits.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was curious to see if any of you have used the opt7 25 watt hid kits for your fogs??? The only two companies I can find that have 25 watt hid kits is opt7 and hid extra. I don't want to do a 35 watt kit. Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.