Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several months I've been dealing with a gremlin under the hood. For some reason and at random times, my '07 Silverado acts like the battery is completely dead, even though I just drove the truck 5 mins ago. Everything wipes out, clock and even the engine hour meter resets to zero. I have to use jumper cables and it fires right up, when I hook a battery charger up the meter shows it fully charged. When the truck is running the volt gage is reading 14 to 15, so it's charging. I've had the battery tested several times and has passed (replaced 2 yrs ago).

I've done research online and found bulletins with draining issues, this does not seem to be a drain issue. I've checked all the battery connections and sanded the connections on electrical system and the wires themselves for proper connection. The post on the battery are tight as well.

I'm out of solutions, so I thought with today's technology I'm hoping there is someone out there that has had this problem as well and might be able to help me out.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
So, you have checked all the connections? Wires to alternator? Wires to starter? Making sure all connections are good and not corroded? No corrosion on the battery cables?

All my best guesses, otherwise it is probably nargles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My buddy had the same problem everything was clean and tight. He used an ohm meter on both battery cables after he took them off of the battery. The ground was fine showing 0 ohms and the positive cable had a lot of resistance I forget the numbers but anything other then zero isn't good. He replaced the positive cable and its been fine. Hope this helps.
It was showing the battery voltage as being good but it was the amp draw that gave him the problem because of the resistance.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Could be as simple as one of your terminal screws backing out.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.