Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks I am new to the site so I hope I have posted in the correct location. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Z71 with 247K miles. I have taken good care of the truck for the past 12 years. It just recently starting making a lifter noise. One local shop priced me at $1,800 to replace all 16 lifters citing that it is difficult to isolate the bad one. Another shop $1,200 to $1,500. I tried adding BG MOA to it for week to see if that would quite the noise by one shop then do an oil change. Going for oil change in the morning. I keep my wife in the new car and I am just not ready to give up and the truck and take on another newer truck payment. I know it is a labor intensive fix which drives the cost up. I was thinking about going with a straight 30 weight oil on next change to see if that would help???? Anyone got any experience or advise on this. I live in South Texas so cold temps are not an issue just salt air along the island but have fixed all that. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

· Registered
52 Posts
Is your oil pressure low? If so read my post I posted just i1 minute ago. It will for sure quite the lifter if not stop the noise completely It did mine almost stopped ticking all together. It might not stop it but all the goop you try will not help I tried them all. The O ring replacement worked.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how to find that post you are referencing "rackemblue". I have tired the Lucas additive late yesterday with a 10W-40 not much difference.

Oil pressure is actually great right at 40 when idles and just below 60 when running around 1800rpms. No leaks no burning oil.

I am really thinking about just having them all replaced and just be done with it. Two folks have said you have to pull the heads on this 2004 to get to the cylinder and one other guy said you did not just intake and valve cover. Anyone steer me correctly on this? $1,500 to $1,800 sound about right???

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
With that many miles on your engine you can get a long block crate engine for around the same price. Or a junkyard engine for much cheaper.

There is no way I would spend $1800 on an engine with that many miles.

But that price is about right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
778 Posts
The problem with a junk yard engine is it is an unknown quantity. You have no idea what the history is. With your motor you know what you have. If you decide to fix your engine I would seriously consider having the valves and seats ground and new guide seals installed while the heads are off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.