Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized I put Mobil 75W90 lube in my differentials and it contains the Limited Slip additives which are not supposed to be used in our G80 locking differentials. So, I also see that the Valvoline product has the LS additives as well. Does anyone know of a good name brand synthetic 75W90 that is generally available locally and at a reasonable price?

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,298 Posts
....75W-90 Synthetic Long-Life Gear Lube

Does not contain an LSD addtives
AMSOIL Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock® friction modifier additive.

Product Data Sheet

May or may not be available locally but usually a day out of the Superior or Chicago distribution centers to Wisconsin address. Note - Available in qts and gallons.

16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would jump on the amsoil if I could readily find it for a reasonable price. I think I saw some amsoil products in a NAPA store but I didn't even look at the prices... I may have to double check.

· Servicemen
5,298 Posts
Lots of retailers mark it up past MSRP, not to mention it may have been on the shelf a long time. You will likely burn more gas and waste time looking for it. I sell at wholesale but UPS S&H for me is costly not to mention its 3 days out of da UP of Michigan. I sent my nephew a couple gallons of snowmobile oil in Two Rivers and it took 3 days. Everything has to go thru Chicago UPS hub and it take 2 days to get there from da UP.

16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, what would it cost to have 5 quarts shipped to 53944?
I found a place I can get it for just under $15 a quart, but I have to drive a ways to get it.

· Servicemen
5,298 Posts
Check your PM, AMSOIL policy does not allow me to quote prices in open forums...

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
If you aren't having any issues with the locker why switch?

I've used either mobil 1 or valvoline in all my trucks with the G80 and not once had a problem with them locking or chattering, or not locking. They always work as they should.

16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah, kind of what I am thinking. Maybe just make the switch at the next scheduled change which I am about half way there. I am doing a 40,000 mile change interval on my diffs, xfer case and transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.