Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I put some 1 7/8" headers on my vortec max this past summer, and the muffler shops around my area are so inbred when I asked "can you put the o2 sensors back in" they laughed and said "you might as well throw those away, you'll never use them again." Kind of bummed me out because both I knew you need it or your air/fuel will be off and the engine light will stay on, and I all you have to do is weld a bung on….. tf
So, now to get on with my question. How do you find the correct positon and location to mount an o2 bung? Is there a certain distance it has to be from the o2 sensor mounted in the header collector? If so, what it is the best way to find this area?
Also, what brand and style bung do yawl prefer? Lots out there.

Thanks in advance everyone,

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
13,798 Posts
I think you are fine to have one anywhere before the converter and one after (or in) the converter. The computer compares the reading between the two to make sure the converter is doing it's job.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
As stated above. They are not exactly the most precise location needed. As long as it is within a general closeness to the location that it was before. The shop was probably under the assumption that if you were going as far as putting on headers. You'd also be doing a tune that would alleviate any need to have the 02 sensors. They are regularly tuned out by many people who are getting into performance mods. Usually the pre cat O2 sensors is left on while the rear sensors are turned off. This is usually done for anyone removing the cat and many doing a cat back exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.