Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the plastic belt guard and damaging the plastics of the front bumper in the sand dunes a couple of weeks ago I've decided to replace the lower plastics with a metal bar and integrated sump guard

The plan is to remove the lower plastic from the front if my 2010 silverado and cut the side plastics in line with the bottom of the metal chromed section

Icon are going to custom fabricate a bumper for me. A tube running below the front of the middle metal section will continue the line round below each of the side trimmed plastics and the sum guard will run from this down to the bottom of the engine

It will attach into the bolts of the towing points, the bar the top of the plastic guard attached to and to where the bottom attached

The front towing hooks will be clear

It will be interesting to see how it turns out

It's a reasonably cheap option for an offroad solution and reasonably light too

Also be a lot less aggressive and obvious than some offroad metal bumpers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a few advantages

I've already removed the lower air dam so this will remove 6 inches of plastic below the hooks

The metal tube will start an additional 2 inches higher

It should be strong enough to hit the sand without damage unlike the plastic

It should provide a smooth surface that will slide on the sand when it hits reducing stress on everything

With a 2 inch front levelling lift that's 8 to 10 inches of extra clearance at the front over standard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will get things measured up on Saturday. Should be fitted by the middle of next week

Will definitely post pics. I haven't seen an offroad bumper conversion done in this way despite doing a lot if searches. All of the images I've seen are complete replacements

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been doing a bit of googling and it's looking like a winch either needs more room than is provided behind the metal part of the standard bumper. This seems to be typically solved by a full metal offroad bumper which is something I'm trying to avoid (for cost, weight and look reasons)

Mounting options seem to be either via an external mount or if hidden then slung low behind the lower plastics that I'm removing

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spoke to the guy who is going to do the bumper today. An integrated hidden winch mount plate is definitely an option for about $120 extra.

My concern for a hidden winch is it will be quite inaccessible. The environment here is pretty brutal on equipment like winches. I don't know much about this kind of stuff. Someone mentioned a hitch mounted winch option. Wondering is this might be a better option

Truck is booked in for Monday, will be in for about 3 days

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a quick update

Dropped the truck off this morning. It should be ready on Wednesday.

Decided not to get a hidden winch mount built in. I think the the location would make the winch very difficult if not impossible to access for maintenance which is not good in as dusty as environment as we have here. Plus having a lump of weight like a winch right out the front would make the nose dive even more (if thats possible on such a big heavy lump of a vehicle anyway!!). The extra $120 didnt add up

If I need a winch in the future I'll consider a hitch mounted unit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.