Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
3,282 Posts
I don't know if the LM7's do the same. From what I've read it's not unusual for these motors, so I'm not concerned as if it was due to worn rings, valve guides or a leak. I just top it off 1/2 way to my next oil change.

It's nothing compared to a DOdGe tranz going out at 40K or pulling the cab off a Ferd to get out the broken spark plug.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
60,000 on my 2013 LC9 (aluminum) and zero usage between 5000 mile oil changes.

· Registered
1,637 Posts
2007.5 Silverado with a Gen 4 5.3 LMG Iron Block. She remained 100% Stock up until 100k miles, that includes working AFM/DOD. It has never used oil since the day I bought her used. Which was in late 2009 with 36k miles. She now has 118k miles and has never used a drop of oil, or leaked for that matter. I currently have the motor out and stripped down to a short block, and am removing all AFM/DOD hardware and swapping in a BTR Truck Stage 2 3-bolt Cam and PRC Stage 1 Ported 243 heads Milled to 63cc combustion chambers with PAC 1218 Beehives, Titanium Retainers, Machined Valve locks, LS7 Lifters, LS3 valley cover, LS2 Timing Chain and Dampener, and Cometic .045 Head Gaskets. My goal is to achieve at least 330 RWHP by the end of all this.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
109k on my 11 Lc9 no usage yet. I believe the usage has to do with the valve cover and the pcv system. Everyone on here that has an oil catch can knows what I mean.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Ummmm no. When it gets colder I have to empty my catch at least 3-4 times a week. Here's a picture of what's inside. Also some catch cans work better than others. I don't have the rx can. But from what I've read it is by far the best. My catch does still let some of the junk through. But it catches a lot also. Catching some is better than none at all. I just emptied the can Friday afternoon. This is what is recirculated back into your motor. Tell me that's good for the engine. Usually the can is full every 2-3 days. I drive a lot more during the week than on the weekend.

Attachments

· Banned
2,175 Posts
Here is another issue... If your gaskets start leaking your pulling more vapor out of the engine. Plus loosing a bit of vacuum depending on the severity of the leak. The also has to include some dirt pulled through any leaking gaskets from negative pressure. I've notice a bit of buildup around the gaskets for the bolt holes on my right valve cover.

· Banned
2,175 Posts
Its just to catch the oil your loosing or the possibility of starting. Really if the engine is sealed you shouldn't loose any. Once you start developing leaks the flow into the engine will cause flow out through the crank vent in the intake. The fact that you consuming oil means the seals are leaking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.