Votes: 1 6.7%
  • M1 Extended - No

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 Silverado 1500 CC Z71 w/ LM2
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed over to Valvoline Synpower since I was starting to get more consumption with Pennzoil Platinum. I had always had a little but it seemed to be more than usual so I changed over. I have about 1,200 miles on the SynPower and it was about a 1/4 quart low. Is that within GM's "acceptable" range?

I thought I read somewhere that when changing brands, etc you should run at least two oil changes and that the consumption might settle during the second change. Is there any truth to that? If that is the case then I will stick with the Synpower and change it and see what happens. If there is no truth to that I might try M1 and see if the consumption lessens.

Based on the MDS for Pennzoil, SynPower and M1 the NOACK is all the same at 10 but the M1 Extended Performance is 9.5. Anybody run the M1 Extended Performance and notice any consumption?

I do have AFM turned off as well and have 112K.

Because I haven't seen a poll on this, I added on to the post. If you are running either Pennzoil, Valvoline or M1 and do or don't have any oil consumption issues select the correct one. I don't know how it's going to work but I thought I'd give it a shot.

· Registered
559 Posts
I would be interested in your theory on why the brand of an oil would have anything to do with usage in an engine. How does the color of the bottle or the brand logo translate to a physical property of the oil? I'm confused.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not all brands of oil are the same even with the same viscosity. Certain vehicles like certain oils better than the other. For example. My truck does not like Castrol. It used quite a bit and the engine was noticeably louder but my sister's Envoy loves it. Doesn't use a drop and quiet as can be.

It's not really a theory more just a curiosity. I have read other posts on here that says "my truck likes brand X over brand Y because Brand X seems to have more consumption runs quieter, etc." I also never said that the color of the bottle or brand logo translated to the physical property of the oil.

Looking at the Poll question now I should have reworded it differently but I can't go back and change it.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Color of the bottle and the brand logo can sometimes translate to physical properties. Since all oil isn't created equal. It's nothing new that some older engines tend to like Different brands/types of oil . Amsoil ≠ dollar general oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Yeah, all it takes is a tip toe thru the Petroleum Quality Institute of America's website and look at the result from all the oils they tested and see there is considerable difference in formulation among oils in the same class, grade, and OEM approval. Doesn't mean there are a a lot of bad oils on the market, just there are differences that can show up. Like has been stated, engines and oils are like a relationship. Sometimes they work great together, sometimes not. Neither the fault of the oil or the engine.

Actually, one that shocks many die hards is plain 'ol yellow bottle Pennzoil conventional 10w30. Puts many full synthetics to shame in both formulation and NOACK. I hadn't bought any of it in years, but after the PQIA tests done on it, I started going after it again. Will be going in my low mileage (57K) 2006 Cadillac at next change.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copperhead said:
Yeah, all it takes is a tip toe thru the Petroleum Quality Institute of America's website and look at the result from all the oils they tested and see there is considerable difference in formulation among oils in the same class, grade, and OEM approval. Doesn't mean there are a a lot of bad oils on the market, just there are differences that can show up. Like has been stated, engines and oils are like a relationship. Sometimes they work great together, sometimes not. Neither the fault of the oil or the engine.

Actually, one that shocks many die hards is plain 'ol yellow bottle Pennzoil conventional 10w30. Puts many full synthetics to shame in both formulation and NOACK. I hadn't bought any of it in years, but after the PQIA tests done on it, I started going after it again. Will be going in my low mileage (57K) 2006 Cadillac at next change.
I have heard that as well over at BITOG. They seem to love it over there.

I know GM has an "acceptable" oil usage range but does around a 1/4 of a quarter in 1,200 miles seem within their range? Should I stick with Valvoline for another oil change or go ahead and try M1 and see if it uses any oil?

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
This is from the GM TSB on the oil consumption issue:

• If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles and no low oil light has been experienced, no repairs should be performed as this should be considered acceptable oil consumption as outlined in the latest version of 01-06-01-011.

So, no, you have a long ways to go before you fall out of range of what GM calls "Acceptable".

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
i've found that M1 uses more oil than pennzoil ultra platinum in my truck

· Registered
831 Posts
I've used M1 5W30 in my 2003 Silvy from the day I brought it home with 49K in 2005. I tow a race car in the summer and run about 4800 to 5000 miles between oil changes and use less than 1/8 of a quart.

· Registered
4,317 Posts
esox07 said:
This is from the GM TSB on the oil consumption issue:

• If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles and no low oil light has been experienced, no repairs should be performed as this should be considered acceptable oil consumption as outlined in the latest version of 01-06-01-011.

So, no, you have a long ways to go before you fall out of range of what GM calls "Acceptable".
I love their "acceptable". They sure are not proud of the products they put out. I have a 2000 Detroit 12.7L that was factory remanned in 2012 and now has 628,000 miles on the reman and uses only about 2 quarts in 25,000 mile oil changes. In other words, .08 of a quart per 1000 miles. That would be about 1/4 qt in 4000 miles. Not bad for a engine that is 628,000 miles into its second life.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input.

Do you think a specific oil filter has an affect on oil consumption? I was running a Fram Ultra when running the Pennzoil but noticed that my oil pressure was a little lower compared to the Delco. So I switched back to an AC Delco and the pressures are back up to where I think they should be (and where they were before) and went with Synpower. If I remember right I was using the AC Delco filter with Pennzoil and didn't have any consumption but it started when I switched to the Fram Ultra.

I did just purchase 2 AC Delco UPF48R's and will try those since there was no mention of those being an E-Core filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.