Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 z71 with the 5.3 in it and i have developed an oil leak. Get under and clean all the oil off from everywhere and then drive it and come back and oil is running down the side of the filter. Just replaced rear main seal about a month or two ago. Anyone have any ideas or had the same problem. Let me know please. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could also be the filter is double gasketed. I have seen the gasket from the previous oil filter stay on when you remove the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
checked that first thing. didnt seem to.be the problem. When I.had the rear main seal replaced it stopped the leak for a little while. drove it on a 500 mile trip and noticed a little drop of oil then gradually got worse

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The adapter is easy to replace and is less than $10. Part number is 12552357. I would remove the filter and inspect the adapter to see if its damaged in some way or not allowing the filter to thread completely on. Maybe the adapter is ok but loose. Also make sure the surface where the filter gasket rests is not nicked or otherwise damaged.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
There is a plate above the oil filter that is known to leak fairly often. It is held on with two bolts and is easy to get to. There is a thread on here about it that includes pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input on my oil leak problem. I have another question, When driving across rough places or while turning the steering wheel i can hear a popping sound in my steering, it has done it since i have had just wondering if anyone has the same problems or knows what it could be.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Lol!

OP, check your wheel bearings and upper and lower ball joints also.
And don't forget about the old intermediate steering shaft, a constant problem with a popping sound for your year model.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.