Votes: 67 8.6%
  • standard, when the truck says change it

Votes: 60 7.7%
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know what everyone's oil change practices are.

I plan on using synthetic oil, probably Penzoil Ultra if it has the correct dexos certification mark, either every 3000 or 5000, I haven't decided yet. (I'm a bit anal about engine oil, on my last truck I spent about $2300 on an aftermarket cooler and filtration system)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was always anal about oil change at 3k my dam self. However, I now use synthetic and change when the monitor hits 25-30% or so. This last time that was around 6500 miles driven to get to that %.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FuzzyB said:
I was always anal about oil change at 3k my dam self. However, I now use synthetic and change when the monitor hits 25-30% or so. This last time that was around 6500 miles driven to get to that %.
I used to have a Cadillac CTS that got oil changes every 5k with synthetic, regardless of the OLM. Took me some time getting used to 5k intervals, but I think that's what I'll be doing with this vehicle using Penzoil Platinum full synthetic, in my driveway myself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
AMSoil, about every 8k-10. oil is great these days, especially amsoil oil and other top brands. No need to change it that often but it all depends on how you drive and what you do with your truck. I used to be stuck on 3k or every 3 months but after plenty research and now personal experiences I know better :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
SixStringMadness said:

I plan on using synthetic oil, probably Penzoil Ultra if it has the correct dexos certification mark, either every 3000 or 5000, I haven't decided yet. (I'm a bit anal about engine oil, on my last truck I spent about $2300 on an aftermarket cooler and filtration system)
For some crazy reazon Pennzoil Ultra is not dexos certified. (it certainly would meet the spec) If you want to use a Shell synthetic with the official dexos certification you have Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability to choose from.

Here's the official list http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html

As almost everyone knows there are plenty of fine choices that are not on the list, but.....well you know.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
FuzzyB said:
+1 with Fuzzy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mag1 Dexos1 Approved < $4qt

Did very first one @ 1,000mi. Ran that oil down to 15% on the OLM (approx 6000mi). No analysis done, but the oil looked pretty torn up. Going to run this current oil down at least 20% before considering changing. I dont plan on trying to get 400,000mi out of the truck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greywolf11 said:
SixStringMadness said:

For some crazy reazon Pennzoil Ultra is not dexos certified. (it certainly would meet the spec) If you want to use a Shell synthetic with the official dexos certification you have Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability to choose from.
thanks for the tip, I have since posting found that website, and see that Penzoil Platinum is the "GM approved" synthetic.....

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Greywolf11 said:
For some crazy reason Pennzoil Ultra is not dexos certified. (it certainly would meet the spec) If you want to use a Shell synthetic with the official dexos certification you have Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability to choose from.
Hi Greywolf and other members...

The reason some other oils and manufacturers DO NOT say Dexos approved is because GM takes in fees/money for the right to say that on the can... AMSOIL comes to mind... As stated, it does not mean the oils do not meet the standard.

With that said, if your truck is under warranty, you might want to make sure for the time that it is, you use oils that have the little stamp of approval. Otherwise, GM could say, that your engine or tranny failed because you did not use the proper oils. It's all legalese stuff, but it might matter to someone at sometime.

There is a big brew haha (class action suits, etc) over at Mopar/Chrysler/Fiat (whom ever they are?), about the 2.7L V6 engine failures over little stuff like this....

I hope this helped :D

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Hey SixString...

Great poll!! I think this should be a sticky so that every member can "see" what other members think of oil change intervals... There are constant posts on this site about this very same issue, and many emotional and heated debates... Maybe this could solve the matter once and for all...

Peace out, :D

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Moderator Note: This is now a sticky.

Everyone should be pretty clear on my point of view on this topic. If y'all want to poke the bear again, go for it! :lol: Amsoil 5w30 signature series is going in the truck this weekend, and will not come out for at least 15,000 miles, or a year from now!

As for the comment about the Chrysler 2.7L sludge issue--I have one of those (2002 Dodge intrepid). 117,000 miles, and no issues. I do change it with full synthetic every 3-4,000 miles, and flush the engine each time.

I also have a GMC Acadia in the family, which I change with Amsoil XL every 5-6,000 miles. More in the winter, due to a known fuel dilution issue in some years of the 3.6L engine.

Point is, every vehicle is different. The GM 5.3L is easy on oil (even with AFM), and a quality synthetic can easily handle an extended drain interval.

Let the debate rage on....just keep it friendly! ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
1500VHO said:
Greywolf11 said:
For some crazy reason Pennzoil Ultra is not dexos certified. (it certainly would meet the spec) If you want to use a Shell synthetic with the official dexos certification you have Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability to choose from.
Hi Greywolf and other members...

The reason some other oils and manufacturers DO NOT say Dexos approved is because GM takes in fees/money for the right to say that on the can... AMSOIL comes to mind... As stated, it does not mean the oils do not meet the standard.

With that said, if your truck is under warranty, you might want to make sure for the time that it is, you use oils that have the little stamp of approval. Otherwise, GM could say, that your engine or tranny failed because you did not use the proper oils. It's all legalese stuff, but it might matter to someone at sometime.

There is a big brew haha (class action suits, etc) over at Mopar/Chrysler/Fiat (whom ever they are?), about the 2.7L V6 engine failures over little stuff like this....

I hope this helped :D
Thanks 1500VH0

For the very reason you said I've tried to stay with Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Do the other oils without the little green symbol probably meet or exceed the Dexos spec? Yeah, probably, but in the event that something does go wrong GM has a little more legal firepower to fight to deny warranty than I have to fight back. Just not worth the hassle, besides the Mobil, Pennzoil and Quaker State products are easily found, do a good job, etc. Would Amsoil do a great job?... no doubt. Would I consider leaving it in for an extended drain? Yeah maybe after I hit the 100K mark and warranty is not an issue.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Greywolf, for clarification, what do you consider an "extended drain"? I am going under the assumption that following the OLM is not an extended drain. If I get 10,000 miles from the OLM, and GM put the OLM in my truck, they cannot void my warranty just because my dealer still thinks 3,000 miles is the "correct" interval, right?

My definition would be that an "extended drain" is anything longer than the OLM; for example using Amsoil for 25,000 miles (normal service) or 15,000 miles (severe service). Or possibly using Mobil 1 Extended Life for 15,000 miles.

Since this is such a hot topic, I want to ensure we align on terms.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts