Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been doing some research on here regarding towing. I am in the market for a TT for my family. I think I have finally found the floor plan that would work well for us and a local dealer has one in. It is a 2005 Coachmen Capri 27TBS. My truck is an 07 Silverado CC 4x4 Z71 with tow package. Truck has a 7" RCX lift with 35's so I am going to be purchasing a equalizer WD hitch or one of equal quality. The camper is almost 28' and has a dry weight of 4,374 lbs with a GVRW of 6,300 lbs. My truck has a 4 speed auto with 5.3, truck is rated for 10,500 lbs. I feel like this camper is big enough and light enough for what I plan on using it for as well as being able to pull it loaded wherever the family and I decide to go. What do you guys think?
Here is a link to a camper like the one I am considering.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Co ... -111099882

·
Registered
417 Posts
The only question I'd have is whether or not you regeared to compensate for the 35's. If not, you may end up getting bogged down quite a bit on hills, and may end up downshifting a lot on the highway anyways.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh yeah it will pull that quite well I think. I know several people that pull similar trailers to that, one with the 4 speed as well. It does very good they are in a pretty hilly area and you can't go over any hill you want with the cruiz on but that is not a problem. The only thing I would suggest is that you look at getting air bags air rite makes some pretty reasonable ones. I think that would prevent your truck from squatting so bad since it is lifted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I know the 35's are going to hurt me a little. The truck has 3.73 gears. I though about airbags, just depends on how truck sits after hooking up the weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
Good trailer for the truck. As stated...the 35s are not going to help the situation. With a PROPERLY ADJUSTED weight-distributing hitch the front end should sit no more than an inch higher than was BEFORE the trailer was hooked up.

You may need to adjust the WD hitch shank, wd bars (or chains depending on manufacturer), washers on the hitch head, etc.

If the dealer does the WD hitch I would stand there with a tape measure on the front end...FYI.

BTW-I would ask them if the trailer's wheel bearings were repacked prior to putting it up for sale and to show you proof, or negotiate for a repack when purchasing.

I would suggest the Equalizer hitch. it's one of the more popular ones.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

But most of all HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will be going to pick up a camper on Monday.. Went and looked at one today and put a deposit on it. It's a 2004 Jayco 29BHS. TT is in great condition and I couldn't pass it up. GVWR is 7500 and dry weight is around 5500 pounds. I don't think I will have to much trouble pulling it but I don't mind taking my time so won't be trying to fly up an steep grades while hooked up. I will post some pictures of the set up and let you guys know how it works out on Monday.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I have a 19' lightweight tt and a 2013 Silverado 4x4, 5.3, HD cooling and trailer package with 3.42 gears. My TT is only 2700 dry. Probably another 500 or so packed. With me, my wife and some gear in the bed, it trailers great. Pulling the weight is not the problem. The problem is the total lack of aerodynamics on most TT's. They are like pulling a parachute behind you. At slower speeds (up to about 50) they are no problem, but when you start approaching interstate speeds, they become a much bigger drag. That being said, my truck has no problem pulling my TT at 70 mph but you will find it will kick back a gear or two every time you go over an over pass or up any real grade in the road. I highly suggest using the Tow button feature if your truck has it. It makes the shifting much more precise and in snyc with pulling a load. My mileage drops from about 18 to 11 when pulling the TT at 65-70 mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I know I will def know it's back there but I don't plan on trying to pull it over 65mph even on the interstate... It was just a deal I couldn't pass up and the 7500 GVWR still leaves me 3k pounds from my max towing and that's as close as I really want to get. I don't plan on towing with tanks full on any long trips so that'll help out a little as well. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Yah, you will be fine imo if you don't have to drive the rocky mountains and plan on staying at reasonable speeds. Good luck and enjoy that TT. I can't wait for the spring already so I can de-winterize mine and get back out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went and picked up the TT last night. Around 100 miles to get it back home. Truck pulled it pretty good but you definitely know it's back there. I wouldn't want to go any bigger with my set up. Now to get it cleaned up... Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Yelton720: Looks very good. For local camping, that rig should be real nice. I am not sure where you are located but up here, our camping season is over. I have my TT winterized already. I hope you get a chance to get it out to the campgrounds before your season ends. Enjoy the truck and TT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plan on heading up the road about 45 min this weekend for a couple nights then I am going to winterize it by next weekend. Starting to cool down here but still not seeing temps fall below freezing for very long. We have some hilly areas and a few mountain passes but nothing that I should have to much of a struggle with. Im sure i'll be running 3k on the tac while ascending but it wil only be for a couple miles.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Enjoy. Dont forget to use the Tow/Haul mode if your truck has it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just a few tips from 40 years of towing experience:

1) Many states have lower speed limits for vehicles towing trailers - check before you get pulled over.

2) As stated by a previous poster, wind resistance is the issue with travel trailers and the increase in resistance is exponential (not linear) with increases in speed (and so is the increase in fuel consumption!).

3) Some trailer tires have speed ratings in addition to load ratings. Make sure they are inflated properly. If you have torsion-type axles such as some of the Dexter models, check for unusual tire wear that would indicate a trailer wheel alignment issue. These axles are known to have problems with alignment as they wear. Also check for weather-checking on the trailer tires. Those made in China are of lower quality and spend many more months in the supply chain before they're even installed on your trailer. The rubber dries out and deteriorates. A blow-out at highway speed can ruin a trip (and your rig).

Be safe and happy camping!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.