Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a headlight burn out a couple days ago and thought this would be a good opportunity to try out an alternate lighting system. OPT7 LEDs seemed to have some really good reviews so I decided to order a pair of their Fluxbeam X's. After getting them installed with relative ease, I noticed they were aimed extremely high and adjusted them as low as the housing would go which seemed to be at about stock light height. It was horrible. Worse than the garbage sylvania halogens. Pulled over, adjusted them a little higher so that the road could be visible but I also noticed they scattered light pretty high. I realize lights like these aren't designed to be used in reflectors but I thought just maybe these would be different judging from what others were saying and the ever constant LED evolution. Well, I didn't get flashed after a 20 minute drive but I could see the faces of on-comers as they drove by. I was definitely "that guy" who puts HIDs in his reflectors and blinds everyone :| .

At the end of the drive, they started to grow on me a bit but I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them in. They're still adjusted too low to use my hi-beams so that might be a deal breaker. The pics I took are pretty much useless since the camera adjusted for the lighting and made them look much brighter than they actually are.

Does anyone with these bulbs have differing results?

·
Registered
16,583 Posts
I was really close to pulling the trigger on those about 6 months ago. I guess I am glad I didn't, but I still wish I could find a set of LED's that are plug and play and really function like stock Halogens in the reflectors.

Does OPT7 offer free refunds?

It sounds like your review is fairly typical of Fluxbeams and LED's in general. But, it seems most people are less concerned with the beam pattern....I didn't think about the High beams being way too low when you adjust the headlights down. That is definitely an issue with me. I live and drive in C. Wisconsin which is deer country and having some good brights when driving in the rural areas is a must.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah about 50% of my driving is done early morning/at night and I rely on my hi-beams quite a bit. I haven't looked into refunds yet..I'll give it a few more days to get a better feel for them. I think my initial disappointment was just me hoping they were miracle lights :D . My biggest concern is just being a hazard to other drivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hopefully i didnt catch this too late, but Ive been through some similar things with other led headlights. I found that my high beams were pointed below my low beams with led lows in it once i properly adjusted the low beams. In order to help alleviate this issue, i went to an led high beam aswell. They both work pretty well, that said the high beams just dont project as well as id like. If i wasnt already invested in these leds id probably just go to hid's. The light projection is way better with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up returning these and ordering a Morimoto HID retrofit kit. What started out as just a burnt out bulb has just transformed into an all day project I think

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably right, Neal. Especially since I tend to enjoy an occasional beer or three when I work :D. Better clear my weekend schedule

1 - 7 of 7 Posts