Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Silverado and here is my problem. EVERY time I fuel up and I go to crank the truck its like its starving for gas. Truck just cranks and cranks until it seems to get enough fuel to fire off. Runs rough for about a second or two then levels out. I have R2 the charcoal filter box and hose and still same problem. Could it be the pump but why would this only happen when I fill up?

· Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like engine could either be flooded, or starving for fuel, each time you fuel up. First, try removing the gas cap for a few minutes in your driveway without refueling. Then try to start your engine, see if the same thing happens.

If it does, it might be something with fuel delivery. The gas cap is part of a system, don't know if it pressurizes or not, but if your tank is low its possible the fuel pump is draining? Just a guess, maybe its the start of a fuel pump failure.

If not, then it could be your evap system, perhaps getting too much gas during the fill, or a leaky vacuum hose somewhere along the line.

· Registered
887 Posts
Is it throwing any codes? Just went through this with the wife's Captiva. It would want to stall immediately after getting gas and progressed to cranking forever before it would fire. After that it ran perfectly fine until the next time she got gas. It was a bad purge valve.

· Registered
215 Posts
we had a chevy uplander that when u got fuel it would flood it, if it was running it would die. and ud have to floor it to get it to start. it was the purge valve, it was stuck open, after i fixed it it started fine other than it still had a evap leak

· Registered
377 Posts
jbwrangler said:
Purge valve for sure. Easy fix. youtube has some how to vids.
+1

Had this on my 2500 Burb last year. On the 6.0, it's right behind the alternator, and is an easy fix. I would expect it's in the same spot for the 5.3.

I think I paid $23 at AutoZone for the part. Took about 15 minutes to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.