Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I hate to start out with a stupid question on here but I did a stupid thing... The other day I overfilled my truck with oil. I've since drained it all and put the right amount in but now it's leaking pretty bad. Any thoughts on what happened or where it could be leaking from? It was overfilled by maybe 1Qt or so and ran for about a week. Thanks in advance. Joshua

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
1 quart over should not cause any leaks. Are you sure you did not double gasket the oil filter (the old gasket from the old filter stayed on the block and you put the new filter on over the old gasket)? That can cause a pretty bad leak if that is what happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ASTE25. Yes, I'm certain the old gasket came off with the filter. After trying to clean off some of the grime I wiped down where I thought the oil was coming from and tried to watch and see exactly where it starts. I noticed oil coming down both sides of the engine. On the passenger side it drips from the starter bolt closest to the block, and on the drivers side I first notice the oil building up on the corner drain pan bolt (can't really tell where it starts though). Also, I felt inside the bell housing and the torque converter and the flywheel were dry. I did however feel a little bit of oil inside the bellhousing but it seems to be getting in from the dust covers by the starter and oil filter. Any ideas on what it coul be? This leak is driving me nuts! lol. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Well, the rear main seals are known to leak. It could also be the oil pressure sending unit. Being it was a leak that started pretty fast I'd suspect the oil pressure sending unit, as the oil to it is pressurised.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I agree the extra quart shouldn't have caused any leaks.
When my truck came from the factory, it was well above the "fill" line and when I took it in for the last oil change to the Dealer, they again filled it well above the "fill" line...I am guessing close to a quart. I am just hoping that isn't because they are "EXPECTING" oil burning between changes. It is a new 2013 with under 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I investigated the leak in detail tonight... Checked the oil pressure sending unit, pan gasket (which is leaking somewhat but not the cause of the major leak) crank position sensor, etc... So I wiped everything down and had my buddy idle it up to 2000RPM and then it started! Oil started lightly coming from each side out of the plastic dust covers/inspection plates. Looks like a rear main seal job is in my baby's future... If someone would like to chime in and tell me it's not the rear main but instead just two tiny plugs leaking just out of sight on each side of the block I would really appreciate it. Hahaha

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
I'll give you a tip, but you won't like it: Take the transfer case off and remove it before you take the transmission out. You have to do that due to the crossmember being in the way and not allowing you to take the transmission/transfer case out as an assembly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE ON MY REAR MAIN ISSUE: So I bought a UV dye inspection kit JUST to be 110% sure that is was the rear main and not something else, because who would want to take a transmission out if they didnt have to, right? I added the dye, ran Nadine (My truck) for a few minutes with the inspection plates off and took a look, thankfully one of the holes in the flywheel lined up perfectly for me to see that oil is definitely pouring from the rear main. So I guess my question now is what else should I do while the transmission is out? I plan on replacing the oil pan gasket since it will probably be easier to do now but just wasnt sure if there some something else I should do before I put her back together. I'd hate to finish the last bolt and think "Ooops... should've replaced _________ while I had the chance!". And as a little side note... WHAT IN THE WORLD were they thinking when they decided on the starter location?!?! OUCH! Oh well, Thats my complaint for the day. Thanks again for all you guys input, it is greatly appreciated!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.