Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the site. I have an '04 Silverado WT that Im about to install a long overhead console into. I want the map and dome lights to all come on when opening the door, or using the dome light switch. But I also would like the map lights to work independently. Any help/advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
You can hook the new dome to the old dome circuit for the same control. Using a diode on this circuit can allow another power point to be connected for separate control without back feeding the dome circuit.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Wires should all be there, unless yours didn't come with map lights. Just match up the colors.

Three wires...

Orange is 12V for the Map lights
Black/gray is the BCM control for interior lights
Black is ground.

See what you find, take some pictures, and let us know.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I wired everything up with the diodes, and the dome and map lights come on with the door open, but the map lights dont work independently. Obviously something isnt correct, but im not sure what. The wires going to the dome light arent orange and white but brown/black tracer and gray. With my schedule I have limited time to work on this, I dont have access to a garage/shop, and its winter, but I would like to get this done by spring :D. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

· Registered
702 Posts
I did a swap in my '05 truck to add the Homelink. There are a few things i learned along the way. There should be 3 wires that come up to the console, yours only has the two. Which means to get the overhead lights to turn on with the door you need to splice a wire to come up the A pillar and into the harness for the overhead console.

The second issue at play here is the buttons that control the map lights. On some trucks those are three wire buttons and on others these are two wire buttons. in your picture I only see the two wire buttons (purple and white). These won't allow for the lights to come on when the door is opened. The buttons can be swapped if you can get a set from a junkyard. I don't have any pictures of mine but I know that was my frustration. Fortunately my truck had the three wire so it was a fairly easy modification. just had to do a little soldering.

· Registered
702 Posts
So when you rotate the switch on the dash the map lights will turn on?

You'll need new buttons for the map lights. On some trucks those are three wire buttons and on others these are two wire buttons. in your picture I only see the two wire buttons (purple and white). The purple wire draws power from that orange wire. the orange wire is an always hot line. Meaning you should be able to push the button for the map light and get light. But if you open your door or rotate the dome light switch they will not come on. You will need to run a wire from the overhead dome light to the buttons for the map lights. If you had the three wire buttons you could wire them in such a way that the door/knob would turn them on as well as the map buttons themselves.

· Registered
173 Posts
I did that upgrade in my OBS Silverado and it was a simple plug and play. I can't imagine it being that much different doing the upgrade in a NBS as long as you have all the wiring. Check to make sure you have all wiring connections covered.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
And they never will with those switches without running an extra wire and some creative wiring.

Orange is 12V for the Map lights
Black/gray is the BCM control for dome lights
Black is ground.

You need to wire the Black/gray through a diode, with the line on the diode towards the bulb, and splice it into the white wire between the switch and the bulb. This circuit will make the bulbs operate just like the dome light and the diode prevents backfeeding the BCM when the map lights are on.

Next you need to run a fused hot wire and connect it to the orange wire of the console, this circuit will make the map lights work off the console switches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.