Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

OverlordSpock's 2016 Silverado

11K views 88 replies 22 participants last post by  OverlordSpock 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As I detailed on my previous build thread, I just recently traded my 2014 Silverado for a 2016 with about 55k less miles. It wasn't that I was specifically looking to trade for a different truck, but I was putting a lot more miles per year on my truck than I originally anticipated. I know these trucks will go 300k+ if they are taken care of (and mine was), but I was going to hit 100k miles within the next 12 months and still wanted to get as much value out of my truck as I could before it fell off the 100k cliff.

So, I had been causally looking around, but nothing serious. However, on a recent Friday evening, my wife was looking at stuff on her iPad when she suddenly turned to me and asked "What do you think of this?" She showed me her iPad and I saw she was looking at a 2016 Silverado in Siren Red. She said she really liked the color and that it had a lot less miles than our current truck. It was about a two-hour drive from where we live (truck was in Wisconsin and we're in the Chicago area). She said she'd be really interested in going to take a look.

And so, Saturday morning, we got in my truck and we took made the two-hour trip to the lot. It was a Chevrolet dealer in a really rural area (my phone-Verizon-did not have service). It may have been rural, but they still had about 100 cars on their lot. They sales guy we worked with indicated that they are the only Chevy dealer around, so they pride themselves on servicing a really large area.

So, we drove the truck and I looked at it thoroughly. It had 32,644 miles on it when we first saw it. It wasn't perfect (there are a few scratches in the paint that should buff out, although, surprisingly, the paint wasn't very swirly at all). There was a small dent in the tailgate that I think would PDR just fine. The worst problem that I saw was that the chrome on all four rims was bubbling/peeling in spots. The spots weren't large, but they're there.

The truck drove and rode very nicely (I hadn't realized how soft my factory original shocks on my '14 had gotten after 87k miles). The interior was just about perfect with one minor problem that I noticed: there was a scuff/mark on the A-pillar about the size of a quarter. The truck was optioned just about identically as my '14 (LTZ Plus 2LZ) with the only real differences being the new stuff available in '16 that weren't available in '14 (new front end, Car Play, phone charging mat, remote locking tailgate, memory key fobs, etc.). It was apparently a lease return that the dealer purchased at auction and apparently spent most of its life in Michigan.

The sales guy and I dickered around for a little while on the price of the truck and then on the value of my truck for trade. We ended up with a number that I was happy with (and, I think, is still a fair deal for them as well). I also had them throw on black bow-ties (the truck had pee-gold ones) and switch over the chrome nerf-bars from my '14 onto the '16 (the '16 didn't have anything).

So, after about two hours total at the lot, I drove off the lot with a new-to-me 2016 Silverado LTZ in Siren Red Tintcoat.

8566177D-6FD4-42FD-A789-F3B9D03DA621.jpeg

C3E6A170-1169-49F1-8F62-BC6F886C97E8.jpeg

Incidentally, while I was at the dealer, someone else apparently traded in a 2017 Silverado in Ocean Blue for a used 2015(?) GMC Terrain. I overheard them talking with the sales guy telling him that the truck just turned out to be too big for them for day-to-day. It was just an interesting conversation as I gathered they didn't originally buy the Silverado because it was a truck and I was trying to figure out why they bought it then.

Anyway, I'll post up some more thoughts on the new-to-me truck after this post gets approved.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some may wonder why I only gained two years. If I was going to get a newer truck, why not buy new and get one of the new 2019s?

To tell the truth, I seriously considered it. I even drove a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4. I thought the truck looked really sharp and it drove oh so well! But, there were two main reasons:

1. I just couldn't get over the dashboard design. It's not the materials or the quality of assembly or anything like that. It was literally the way the dash looks, design-wise. The center stack on the dash is a terrible design, IMHO. The screen is way too small in proportion to the surround. I don't like the way that the row of buttons along the bottom of the center stack jut out farther than the rest of it. In fact, there is just no front/back dimension to the center stack at all. It just looks like one big slab with a screen, air vents and some buttons on it. There needs to be some dimensionality to it. The center stack on the K2XX trucks is so much better because there is a 3D look to it. It's visually interesting. Not so with the new trucks. I couldn't get over that look and, no matter how much I liked the rest of the truck, the dash is what you see every day and I didn't want to get stuck with that look.

2. It was obviously a lot more money. Although I want the best value I can get, I wouldn't have been opposed to the financial outlay, in general. However, knowing I wouldn't be happy with a major part of the experience with the truck, I didn't think the cost was worth it. I like the K2XX trucks. They do everything I want them to. They just aren't new any more. I know... I know... that's not quite true. You can get a brand new K2XX truck or a left-over 2018. But, again, I talked about value. I thought I got more for my money with going with slightly used. Plus, with as relatively little as I spent on this, if GM does change up the interiors of the new trucks in a few years as is rumored, and it's something to my liking, I'll be more comfortable switching to that as I won't have thrown nearly as much away. (Wow...talk about first world problems...)

At any rate, I'm happy with my decision.

Now, on to things to do the truck...

#6 ·
Great call on the 2016... personally, I think the 2016-2018 Sierra/Silverado are still the nicest designs compared to the last few generations.

I'll admit that the 2019 has started to grow on me as I see more. However, as a few automotive engineers have told me - avoid first model years. Let them iron the kinks out before you buy into that model/design.

This is why I went with a 2018 Silverado, not to mention they were blowing them out to make room for the 2019. If and when I trade up, it would be towards a 1/2 ton with the 3.0 Duramax or I'd step up to a used 2016-2018 2500 Silverado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Cajun red is a 2019 color.....Siren red is 2016.
Maybe they changed the name to protect the innocent.

Its probably gonna piss off the Cajuns, though....Those people are patriots, and as far from "red" as you can get!!

#9 ·
roorancher said:
Maybe they changed the name to protect the innocent.

Its probably gonna piss off the cabins, though....Those people are patriots, and as far from "red" as you can get!!
Maybe, but my buddy has a 18 Lt that's Cajun Red with the Coco/Dune interior...stunning colour combo!

#10 ·
05Canuck said:
Congrats on the new ride. Looks great...what are your plans with it? Are you sure that's not Cajun Red?
It is definitely Siren Red. Siren Red is a bit darker than Cajun Red.

As for plans, many of the same things that I did with my previous truck: tonneau cover, 2.5" level, bigger tires. I may replace the wheels due to the peeling problem. I've already started the process of getting this one Lew tuned as well.

roorancher said:
Actually, Cajun red replaced(?) Siren Red in 2018. I looked, briefly, at a Cajun Red 2018 Silverado and loved the color, but, according to the CarFax, it had been involved in a wreck.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
A few (somewhat) interesting tidbits about the truck and it's past:

The previous owner apparently never reset the trip meters.

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

Apparently, the truck got around 17.5 mpg over its lifetime so far. I have no idea how common it is for people to not pay attention to their trip meters, but I'm fairly obsessive about it, so these got reset very quickly.

As well, this truck has GM's 4G Wi-Fi hotspot. I'm going to guess that the previous owner's name was "Rick" as the hotspot's name is "rickstruck". I'm fairly sure I have the previous owner's phone number too as the password appears to be a phone number. No, I won't be showing a picture of that. :lol:

Also, I gave the truck it's first bath (since I've owned it) this morning:
IMG_2218.png

Attachments

#12 ·
Dang, loving that red. Nice rig. Funny that the person never bothered to reset the info.. I hear of that same stuff happening to people with navigation units and stuff. The next owners have the old persons home address, work address, frequent visited locations, etc.. :lol:

#13 ·
I sort of feel like the dealer should reset the info unit or something when traded in. That's funny though. nice truck!

I almost traded my 09 with 116k in on a 2017 with 11k miles last week but the salesmen misinformed me. Told me the 2017 was 30k then after hem hawing around said sorry I was mistaken its actually 40k.

#14 ·
When I bought my truck from a dealer in the DFW Metroplex at 26K miles, the trip odometer had obviously never been used or reset. Likewise, neither had the bluetooth, as several devices had still been listed. The previous owner barely averaged 17 MPG. I average 18.2.

Also, OnStar was Maria instead of Mary. LOL!!!

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had the front two windows tinted today to match the back two windows. Looks much better now.

FDDD2419-62AC-40C3-97CD-0F4C21E810C8.jpeg

For whatever reason, the mismatched color of the windows was more obvious to me on this red truck than it was on the previous Tungsten Grey truck.

I have another (minor) mod I plan on doing a little later this afternoon. Will post a picture of that at some point.

Attachments

#17 ·
05Canuck said:
Time for a new sig! But she's looking good! When do the lift and tires come? lol
Indeed, it is time for a new signature. But, I need to get a good picture first and I just haven't had time for that when it hasn't been raining. But, whatever. It'll happen eventually.

As for the level and tires, that's still up in the air at the moment. I've been somewhat debating coil-overs. But, that's significantly more expensive and that wouldn't happen until next year, at the earliest. Most likely I'll just throw the RC 2.5" level on there with new tires here at some point in the near future, and, if I decide on coil-overs, I'll do that later. But, I'm still see-sawing in my head.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
In other news, I washed the truck again over the weekend and, when I was done drying it, I found this:
IMG_2281.jpeg

That's the passenger-side tail-light, just in case you weren't sure. The driver's side is fine. I guess I need to read up on if I can get that moisture out of there and how to seal it all up again. *sigh*

I also teased a (very) minor mod on Saturday. I purchased some of the plugs you put in the holes in the frame. Cleans up the appearance a bit:
IMG_2282.jpeg

I also had Lew tune this truck as well and installed it just over a week ago. I did my WOT logging and sent that in to him on Sunday. The truck drives so much better!

I've now driven the truck just over 1,000 miles since I purchased it and have some impressions on the difference between my 2014 and this one. I'll write that up sometime in the next few days and post it here. It's nothing truly mind-shattering or anything that many of you aren't probably already familiar with, but since I'm using this thread to document my time with the truck, I figure I'll go ahead an post it for posterity. Sometime in the next few days...

Attachments

#20 ·
whitesierra_11 said:
How much of a difference did you see after the WOT part? Still need to get mine in to him.
Literally no difference after the WOT log. He just wants that log to ensure that the base tune he sends you is good. If he sees something amiss in the WOT log, he'll make further adjustments and send a revised tune, but that wasn't necessary in my case.

#21 ·
OverlordSpock said:
In other news, I washed the truck again over the weekend and, when I was done drying it, I found this:
View attachment 1
That's the passenger-side tail-light, just in case you weren't sure. The driver's side is fine. I guess I need to read up on if I can get that moisture out of there and how to seal it all up again. *sigh*

I also teased a (very) minor mod on Saturday. I purchased some of the plugs you put in the holes in the frame. Cleans up the appearance a bit:

I also had Lew tune this truck as well and installed it just over a week ago. I did my WOT logging and sent that in to him on Sunday. The truck drives so much better!

I've now driven the truck just over 1,000 miles since I purchased it and have some impressions on the difference between my 2014 and this one. I'll write that up sometime in the next few days and post it here. It's nothing truly mind-shattering or anything that many of you aren't probably already familiar with, but since I'm using this thread to document my time with the truck, I figure I'll go ahead an post it for posterity. Sometime in the next few days...
That frame still looks pretty spiffy.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, I've been thinking about the lift and the tires. I really like the 20" LTZ chrome rims on the truck (I loved them with the BFG KO2s on my last truck) and would be totally fine with that style again. But, these rims are not in as great of shape as on my last truck. The chrome is bubbling in a few minor spots on three of the four rims. I could get the rims re-chromed, I suppose, but that seems to be fairly expensive and if I'm going to spend that much money, I might as well spend a small amount more and get some different rims.

That said, today I found what appears to be a spectacular deal on some 2019 RST rims like so:

s-l1600.jpg

Ignore the tires in this picture. They aren't the exact wheels I found, just a representative photo I found from an auction on eBay. Anyway, the ones I found are fresh takeoffs from a 2019 RST.

How do you all think this would look on my truck? I have liked the look of these since I first saw a RST. I like that there is some three-dimensionality to them. I like that they have the stock look but are a little different. But, I can't quite picture them on my truck. I tried doing a (very poor) Photoshop on my truck, but, to me, it looks like a poor Photoshop and I can't really judge:

Truck Wheels Idea.jpeg

Please keep in mind that I know that I can go out and get a huge variety of aftermarket rims. I completely get that I can get good wheels for a good price. But, I like the stock look. I like making changes to the truck that look like they could have been that way from the factory.

Also, I plan on putting a 2.5" level on the truck with 32.5-33" BFG KO2s.

Thoughts?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.