Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 1500 5.3

I replaced both of my knock sensors after sensor 2 threw a code. Torqued to spec. Now whenever RPMs are up high (around 5k) while driving, it will throw both codes P0327 and P0332 (Sensor 1 and 2 low circuit input respectively)

I checked continuity and that checks out.

I bought this last week. Its has 125k miles and is in great shape, appears to be taken care of.

Any ideas? Outside of high RPMs it doesn't throw the codes.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did you use ACDelco, Delphi, or another good brand (like SMP/BWD) knock sensors, and did you replace the wire harness. If you did replace the wiring harness, did you use an ACDelco harness? These engines are picky about which parts are used.

Also, if you replace spark plugs, use only ACDelco plugs otherwise you'll have all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chem_man said:
Did you use ACDelco, Delphi, or another good brand (like SMP/BWD) knock sensors, and did you replace the wire harness. If you did replace the wiring harness, did you use an ACDelco harness? These engines are picky about which parts are used.

Also, if you replace spark plugs, use only ACDelco plugs otherwise you'll have all kinds of issues.
I used Dorman. Sensor and wire were replaced. No go on NGK plugs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'v ecommented on this in the past but make sure whichever harness you get has the new rubber grommets, they dry up and water gets past them and ruins the sensor. I used RTV on a new harness the most recent time I did mine and they've lasted 200kms.

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK on the use of Dorman sensors and wire harness. If I were in your shoes, I would get a set of ACDelco or Delphi sensors from rockauto.com along with an ACDelco wire harness and replace the Dorman parts. Many threads about avoiding Dorman products if at all possible.

There are several posts regarding replacing knock sensors on this forum. Also, as wfauteux177 mentions, it's best to place a bead of RTV almost completely around the knock sensors to keep water from getting into the wells where the knock sensors sit, and to keep water off of the rubber grommets. Here is a link to see what I am saying:

How to change your knock sensors

Regarding the NGK spark plugs, stick with the ACDelco 41962 double plantinums. Again, many discussions on this forum regarding which spark plugs to use in the 5.3 L engine, and the consensus is to stick with the ACDelco factory recommended plug to avoid driveability problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chem_man said:
OK on the use of Dorman sensors and wire harness. If I were in your shoes, I would get a set of ACDelco or Delphi sensors from rockauto.com along with an ACDelco wire harness and replace the Dorman parts. Many threads about avoiding Dorman products if at all possible.

There are several posts regarding replacing knock sensors on this forum. Also, as wfauteux177 mentions, it's best to place a bead of RTV almost completely around the knock sensors to keep water from getting into the wells where the knock sensors sit, and to keep water off of the rubber grommets. Here is a link to see what I am saying:

How to change your knock sensors

Regarding the NGK spark plugs, stick with the ACDelco 41962 double plantinums. Again, many discussions on this forum regarding which spark plugs to use in the 5.3 L engine, and the consensus is to stick with the ACDelco factory recommended plug to avoid driveability problems.
I will do that. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts