Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I over filled the fuel tank on a road trip. The next day I started getting the "tighten gas cap" warning. The day after that the gas cap warning stopped and then the P0455 started. The timing seems too coincidental to me. Can over filling cause this error code and if so will the canister eventually clear itself?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
i would just reseat the cap and clear the code and see what happens. If not, the canister can be replaced with the older style which is more robust and cheaper or there is a purge valve under the hood that is like 15 bucks which i would replace first. Either way, clear first its free.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It was most likely caused by your gas cap not being tightened enough or the seal is wearing out.
Overfilling wouldn't cause that code. Any auto parts store can clear the code for you.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Yes, From what I have experienced, overfilling your tank can cause this code. IMO, it is no coincidence. However, clearing the code may be all it takes to resolve it. What you likely did was flood the evaporative filter thingy and thus it is reading as defective or in need of replacement. But after it has time to dry out, it might be all that you need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've cleared the code twice. Today a new code appeared, P0449. Is there only one valve/solenoid plus the canster to replace? I thought there was a solenoid near the gas tank too.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I am not sure what all will have to be replaced, but if it (code) keeps coming back, likely you will have to replace something. I am sure others will chime in with exact parts as it is a pretty common problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am new to this forum but I have been a strong lurker for a few months now. I was going to post a thread on P0455 but being new to this forum I thought I would search, then add to this post. I hope to generate more replys to my situation

My Truck - 2005 5.3 1500

6 Months ago the check engine light appeared on my truck and I have the Scangauge II hooked up all of the time to monitor trans temp and a few other things. I noted the code and cleared it. A week later I received the "tighten fuel cap" message on the DIC. This went on for a few weeks and I decided to start with the replacement gas cap. I thought that this would be the cheapest route but I was wrong. The dealers were selling the OEM cap from $29 - $39 dollars in my area and I got the one closest to me to match the $29 cap. I replaced the cap (nothing looked wrong with my old one) and two weeks later the I received the same DIC message.
I have heard that some of the factory caps are defective but I cannot confirm or prove that this was the case so I did not do anything with that yet.

For the past 6 months I have been looking into the fix. I decided to replace the vent solenoid. GM wants us to use the new part number that relocates the vent above the trans. This part is $170 dollars and IMO not worth it. I ordered one from Rock Auto for a 2006 suburban which is the exact OEM vent solenoid that was on my truck. I got this part for $15.

Last weekend I replaced it and noticed that my old solenoid was cracked and assumed that was the issue. Easy to replace and mine was located below the left passenger door near the gas tank. Everything was fine for two days and then the same DIC message and check engine light is on again.

Before replacing the solenoid I did notice a gas vapor smell from between my cab and bed and also noticed a slight noise from that area as well. What else could be the culprit? Does anyone have any diagrams or videos of other hose connections near the gas tank that I can check on to see if they are dirty or damaged? I would hate to try the gas cap again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the factory 214-2082 with a 214-2149 as suggested and not problems so far. The reason was $15 vs. $125. Codes have been gone for four days. The difference between the two parts is that the 2082 has two ports, one for a remote filter while the 2149 has one port and the filter is built into the unit. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Had to use a heat gun to get the canister hose to release from the old unit and put it on to the new unit with a hose clamp. Capped the hose for the remote filter and zip tied it to a fuel line in case I ever need to use it again.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I did the same thing, went for the one port due to the lower cost. I'm several months in without issue, hope you have similar results. Did you also replace the fuel cap at any point or did the original P0455 go away permanently?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I replaced mine with the single port in May. No problems so far. My P0455 went away immediately and hasn't come on since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.