Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2007 1500 142000KM, probably never had the brakes done. They are starting to make some god awful sounds. I have had them looked at but have lots of pad life left. I think id like a nice quite truck back so I've started to look at getting new brake pads. Calling around to some local shops has made me assume its not just that easy these days. One shop said they recommended and normally never replace just brake pads, he quoted me $1000 for a brake job, new pads and rotors all away around. Am I just young and dumb or why cant I just put on some new pads? $1000 to prematurely fix some brake squeal has me turned off of the idea. Any input on brake work would be awesome. 07 gmc sierra, 4wheel disk brakes

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can do new pads yeah...but if the rotors are scored and have marks in them from the old pads you'll be right back where you started. You may be able to have a shop cut the rotors for you which would be cheaper than flat out replacing them but at that many miles or kilometers I would replace the rotors and pads. Have you considered just doing it yourself? It's easy enough and you'll get out of it with a nice set of rotors and pads for around $300 give or take a little.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya thats sorta what the shop was saying, appreciate your input. Definitely looking into ordering a kit online and hiring a friend to help with the install. Biggest thing for me would be finding a nice warm space to do it. Thanks again...maybe also. I was looking at a powerstop kit on autoanything. Good brand to go with?

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
$1000? YIKES!

You can get OE-grade pads and rotors for something like $250-$300, and that covers all 4 corners. Brakes are fairly easy to do yourself, so I'd highly advise doing it yourself. I typically just get the OE-grade or a little better at the local auto parts store.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,455 Posts
I think you can get high performance rotors and pads for under $1000. Oem equivalent shouldn't be more than ide say $500. And even thats a high estimate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
$1000 is insane unless he's throwin high performance stuff on there. Like everyone else said OE-grade parts should run bout $400 for new rotors and pads all around, which is what I would highly recommend doin at 142k.

Look up a few videos on youtube and you'll see how easy it is. One other thing, bleed the brakes and put new brake fluid in it also

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.