Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My new to me '18 Silverado had GM mud flaps on the front but not the rear so I am wanting to even the set. Previous owner used the truck for hauling gravel so the fender edge took some punishment, see pic below. The GM mud flap will cover it but I am wondering if there is anything I should do to "seal" the exposure to slow rust growth. Living in the Midwest, I get snow and salt.

Beyond sanding and repainting (I'm not that skilled and not ready to take it to a body shop), what options are best? Is it as simple as taking a GM paint pen and filling in the exposure? Would this option also work for other chips that are on the bottom of the rear fender?

Automotive tire Hood Road surface Asphalt Synthetic rubber

Water Fluid Grey Asphalt Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,442 Posts
OBVIOUSLY, a little prep and touch up paint will take care of it, but since it appears below where the clear erosion proof coating is applied from the factory you could mask, sand it all off, repaint, and reapply the erosion proofing.

·
Administrator
5,912 Posts
I would spend the money to have that area professionally refinished. I suspect it's already down to the bare metal. It will haunt you if you don't do it right and are planning to keep the truck a long time, especially being in the rust belt.

Reactions: Night_Shift_61

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you think that spot is bad, pull those rubber covers off and it will be rotten.

You can grind it off and start fresh with bare metal. Very expensive but pretty and will last a few years.

Or you can clean, etch and encapsulate with POR-15 and/or an epoxy bed liner. Cheap, not so pretty and will last as long as new paint because you've built it up which is more protection from chips, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts