Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be painting my engine cover this weekend and I'm going to go with red. What kind of preparation do I need to do to the covers before I begin to paint?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got the paint today Dupli color perfect match (Arctic White) and Dupli color Engine Enamel 500 degree clear.
Tomorrow i'm off to get some TSP and a very tiny brush to apply the Vaseline.
I have to go to a wedding so I may not start this till Monday.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Cool .. have fun and post some pictures when you are done. No drinking the night before cause you will need steady hands!! lol!!

The colour I used is duplicolour GM Metalic Pewter which is the accent colour on my truck .. I got mine at a Canadian Tire store which you guys don't have in the US. - not sure what your equivalent would be.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I've done plastics in the past, I usually hit them lightly with a scotchbrite pad or super fine sandpaper just to help with adhesion. Definitely post up pics when you get it done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks Grim Jeeper!
I had to do it between family events I just put it on wet because I am on my way to an after wedding breakfast downtown.
the whole job took about one and a half hours from start to Finnish minus all the interruptions.
Well worth thw time and a couple rattle cans.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey, Fallengt109 Get er done! We want pictures !!
It takes less than 2 hours if you have a heat gun.
It took me an hour and a half, the duplicolor drys pretty fast with just a little heat and to harden it run it under a little cold water.
Then spray the last clear coat on,let it dry to touch and install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.