Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Names Ben.

So I'm planning on getting myself a Silverado. I was a Jeeper but I can't keep up with the repairs those things need on a day to day basis. I have a couple questions regarding the Silverados and hopefully I can get them answered.
My old wrangler was a fun toy to sink a ton of money into, but lately its just been a pain to keep running correctly. I'm finally on the road to upgrading to something that's a little better on gas, can actually carry some stuff in it and won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

So why Chevy? I've seen all that the big 4 has to offer and I can say that Chevy seems to have the least amount of glitches. Ford is just....Ford. We own a couple of those within the family and they are constantly needing work. GMC isn't much better and Dodge's, although strong and pretty reliable, seem to rot out the quickest which is a big deal living here in the Northeast. My Father is one that has owned all the different brands, and he says his 2011 Silverado is the best one so far, I figure I would give it try.

What I'm planning on getting:
Right now I'm looking at a 2007 Silverado, and that's about as much info as I have. I've taken out a $10,000 loan to pay for a new vehicle, and I'm having one of our locally owned shops bid on one via auction. I'm doing that because if he finds one, he warrantys it. I've used him in the past and I've always gotten pretty good vehicles from him. My original goal was something beteween 04 to 06 because I like the body style of those, but my vehicle loan won't be approved for anything that old so my new goal is currently an 07 Silverado, and I'm not being pickey at all about a 1500, 2500, extended cab, crew cab, bed size, etc. Whatever he finds I'll more than likely be happy with. I will probably have some money left over on the loan if he can find one for the right price so I'll either put that into some upgraded LED headlights or put it into savings. I'll be eventually selling my old Jeep so I'll be able to pay off a huge chunk of the loan that way as well.

What I plan on using it for:
Light duty work for the most part. I work construction so I'll be making the occasional lumber and supply run but nothing over the top. I may tow a trailer from site to site every once in a while. We do have a small John Deere tractor that I could tow, but we don't have a flatbed trailer for it and we don't plan on getting one for it. I also work for our local FD and most of our responses are done Via POV because its a small town. Typically after a building fire or similar scale incident we use our own vehicles to haul the tools and hose back to the station for cleaning so where not putting the dirty, contaminated equipment into the cab of the trucks.

If I've done my research right, then a 1500 should be find for all of that. I'm not planning on hauling any 5th wheels or anything. Other than work, I'll be using it as my commuter back and forth between collage which is about an hours drive each way once a week.

As far as what I wan't to do to the truck for looks and accessories, my plan is simply a backrack, bed rails, toolbox and maybe a pushbar for the front to protect the front end from the occasional black ice incident. I don't plan on adding lifts or full size steel bumpers (although I would like to) anytime soon until its paid for.

What are my questions:
So I hear that the #1 complaint with the 07's and many other model Silverados is a plague of heavy oil consumption that has some people replacing the motor. I can't seem to get a lot of info on what potential fixes for that issue is, nor can I find any info on if its model specific. I keep seeing the 5.3L V8 as the engine that gets brought up the most. Is that the engine that has the oil issues? Or is it any of the engines they put in the 07's? Seeing as the 08's are not much better with the reports of the oil consumption issue, and I can't afford anything newer than that, and the bank won't approve a loan of any vehicle older than a 07, if I'm going with Chevy I should probably put this on my "expected problems to run into" list.

Other than the oil issue I've read about, are there any other major problems with the 07's that I should be informed about? Is there a "trim package" I should lean more toward?

Second question is how do they hold up to abuse? I don't plan on going offroad or wheeling in the woods with this truck, but it will be driven throughout some backwoods mountain roads since where a mountain town. Also using it for responding to callouts for the FD will pretty frequent. So lots of hill climb & lots of accelerating.

Since I do live in the northeast as well, winters are pretty harsh. How do the Silverados handle in the winter? I will be driving out a lot on unplowed roads. My Jeep was fantastic in the winter aside from not having ABS. Never got stuck and that thing was a tank going through deep snow. How would the full size pickup compare to that traction wise?

That's about all I have for questions at the moment. Hopefully I should have my ass in a new truck in about another week or so! Looking forward to it!

· Registered
778 Posts
I have a 1999 Silverado with a 5.3l engine. I love the truck and the 5.3l is almost bullet proof. However I believe in 2007 GM started using the AFM (automatic fuel management) 5.3l in their trucks. This is when the oil consumption problems started. I think they have since fixed this problem but I would avoid the early AFMs. If your financing drives you into those years look at the 4.8l V6. That should work for you. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in and give you more details on the AFM saga.

· Registered
355 Posts
Rollover is correct that the 4.8 did not use AFM (BTW that's a V8) Also you could look at a 6.0 in a 2500 series. Both of these did not have the AFM. If the power wasn't an issue the 4.3 V6 would work as well. The 5.3 prior to AFM was one tough engine. You might even very well get an 07+ with no problem, but those first few years with AFM seemed (by internet accounts) to be the worst for oil consumption. IMHO unless you knew the history of the truck you might be best to shy away from the 5.3 from the early years of AFM.

As for holding up to abuse.....Don't you know Chevy is built like a Rock?

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Like you I sold my wrangler and bought my first truck in 2012. After a new engine I was tired of dumping my money into the worthless toy. And sold it for twice what I had into it. Like you I only wanted to spend 10k but I couldn't find a decent one with no rust. Ended up taking a 14k loan and found a showroom quality 08. Never had an issue with it, put almost 70k miles on it and traded it in for not that much less than I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
29 Posts
mdssierra said:
GMC not much better than F**d?! WTF?! You do know a GMC is a Chevy with a different grille and badges right?
LOL, when I worked at the GMC dealer we would say that Chevy was a rebadged GMC. We had people who would come in saying how much better a GMC was built than a Chevy or Chevy than GMC . Always got a good laugh out of that.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm on my 2nd NBS truck. 99-07.5 Both 5.3l, 4x4, Z71, 4L60e. I drive at minimal 40,000 miles a year for work. Add on personal and the miles rack up fast. Quite honestly the reason you don't hear about a fix for the oil consumption issue on the early AFM motors is that the fix that was come up with (redesigned valve covers) was not an adequate fix by all accounts. I'm a die hard GM guy and currently own 3 of their vehicles. I'd say that unless you are getting a detailed report and history of the truck. Stay away from 2007.5 to 2013 AFM engines. They are not all bad but are for sure hit and miss. Either they have the oil consumption problem or don't. I would not want to risk that on an unknown personally. For that reason I'd suggest sticking with a 6.0 if you get one from those years through an auction or used dealer that deals with auctions. I've got 460,000 miles between the 2 trucks. Can't beat the reliability of the pre AFM 5.3.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Ohh. As far as how do these trucks handle the snow? I also live in the north east. Pennsylvania a few hours from Philly. If you put some decent tires on that are snow rated. I personally go with the Hankook Dynapro ATM year round. They will blow a Jeep away in the traction department. Longer wheelbase and heavier vehicle add up to give them some real bite in the snow and ice.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome feedback, thanks everyone!

Yes I do know that GMC is just rebadged Chevy, but I always heard they had some issues with suspension and driveline components.

One possible fix that I found for the oil consumption after some more browsing is simply by using a tuner or a scan tool and disabling the AFM. I guess a lot of people have had luck with doing that, so if I do get stuck with a early AFM engine, I do have some possible fixes I can try. I also found the dealerships service guides to fixing the oil problem.

I always thought the 4.8 was a V6. I do wan't a V8 so I am glad to hear that both the 5.3 and the 4.8 are V8's. You all say the 5.3 is bulletproof, how does that compare to the 4.8? Are there "pre AFM" 5.3's in the 2007 models? I'm on a pretty strict budget between what I can afford to pay and what the bank will allow me to get through a loan. Nothing older than a 07 and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford anything higher than an 08.

I run all season tires. Duratracs. Never once had any problems with those in the deep snow.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
2007 was a mid model change over year. There are NBS (New Body Style) truck that were made the first part of the model year and NNBS (New New Body Style) made the second half of the year. The NBS trucks are ones like mine. A bit more rounded. Later Chevy (04 I think and up) ones were called the Cat Eyes because of the headlights being sort of slanted in and angular. They have a more pronounced body line above the rocker panels and the fenders are a bit more beefy looking. Especially on the rear. NNBS trucks have a much more squared up grill. NBS 5.3 will have a pre AFM engine while NNBS will have first generation AFM engines. Tuners can turn off AFM and some people do that. However, in most cases once an oil consumption problem starts. It seems that the new valve covers and AFM delete are both kind of too late. Again though, these are sort of hit and miss. The 4.8 and 5.3 are both made from the same block. They both use a 3.78 bore with the 4.8 getting a 3.267 inch stroke. The 5.3 has the normal LS engine stroke of 3.622 inches. The 5.3 has a bit more torque. Nothing earth shatteringly different. 4.8 is usually considered a bit more fuel efficient and if the desire ever comes up. The 4.8 is a lot more rev happy when responding to boost.

Just to make it a little more clear.

Example of an NBS. My example in fact. No AFM on it.

Example of an NNBS. This one will have AFM on a 5.3.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The "new new" body style is more than likely what I will be getting. So if I understand this, the 5.3 was the only one having the oil consumption issues and the 4.8 will be a safer choice? But as far as the oil consumption in general is concerned, only a handfull of the trucks actually had the problem instead of every truck. Since GMC's and Chevy's are pretty much the same, I assume the oil consumption problem is shared because the engines are shared?

What do you mean by LS engine? What do you mean by rev happy when responding to boost? Boost as in a turbo\super charger or boost as in just plain flooring it?

The older cat eye Chevy's where my goal, and then I wouldn't even have to worry about the oil problems, but the bank sort of put a stop to that. The only way I can get reasonably low interest rates is by actually doing a vehicle loan which requires me to get something 2007 or higher. I'll be getting 6% interest unless I get a co-signer. I could get the loan for the same amount of money and time span on a personal\unsecured loan for a older model, but I would be getting whacked 14% interest. I have no problem paying %6 interest, its far better than the other offers I have gotten from different banks, and its understandable seeing as I don't have any credit established just yet, and once I sell off the Jeep there's a good chunk of the loan paid off.

· Registered
778 Posts
Is there a way you could borrow a vehicle from a friend or family long enough to bridge you between the time you sell you Jeep and purchase your newer vehicle. That way you would borrow less money and maybe be able to get the year you want. Or get the 4.8l. From what I hear they are every bit as good as the 5.3l. As Fisger8new pointed out they are the same engine except the shorter stroke.

BTW great write up Fisger8new.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately no, there isnt. Even if I was to borrow less money from the bank, the interest rates remain the same. Its hard to get a good deal when your trying to establish credit from having no credit. Borrowing a vehicle from family or friends is out of the question as everyone I know has full time jobs like me.

I'm 50\50 on the body styles. I like the cateye ones just as much as I like the newer square style ones so whichever I get I'll be happy with. Plus I like the interiors of the new Silverados. The only body style I don't like where the ones before they introduced the cateyes that had the thinner style headlights. As long as I can get one that has the 4.8 in it I'll be happy that I won't have to worry about the oil issues.

Like I had said before, the dealer I'm using buys the vehicles from auction so it all depends on what he comes back with. If he comes back with a 5.3 I'll tell him to look again for something with a 4.8. I still have final say in which one I buy from him. Hes just doing me the work of finding the vehicle.

To be honest I would be lucky to sell the Jeep for much at all. Due to its two small frame repairs the title is considered "rebuilt" per NH state law, the VIN will show that it has two front end collisions (slid into parked cars from solid ice, no damage to the Jeep and I only cracked the other cars bumpers. Never learned how to properly pump the brakes in a vehicle that doesn't have abs) and the transmissions close to dying. It also needs a laundry list of other parts which includes all new suspension, exhaust, cooling system and a heater core. I thought about fixing it up and getting it running right but to be honest, I need a bigger vehicle that's a little easier on fuel than my current 10MPG. There's no body rot, no frame rot and the engines in great shape. 110k miles on it and the paint is new. Because I know I won't get much for it selling it whole I may just part out as much as I can on it because most of the value is in the accessories. Either that or I may just hang onto it as a project vehicle and work on it in my spare time.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07.5 1500. Bought it a few years ago with around 49K on it. Just flipped 120K this weekend. Has the 5.3L, and aside from a BCM taking a crap, hasn't given me one issue. I do a city/highway combo, and I'm honestly a bit harder on it then I should be. Never have had an issue with oil consumption, but the 8-4 crap does get annoying to listen to after adding the flowmasters.

As for the snow, it's a beast. Aside from the leveling kit to get the rake out of the nose, its all the stock suspension/tires. Just have to watch it in the rain in 2WD. Goose the throttle too much and it will whip the ass end around.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's always an option as well. Those are in the 2500's right? I'm not too knowledgeable about the differences between the 1500's, 2500's and 3500's. I always thought the 2500's and 3500's where the Duramaxes.

Sticking with the 07 or 08 year options, is there a big difference in price for a used 2500 that has a 6.0\6.2 vs a 1500 that has the 4.8\5.3?

· Registered
1,520 Posts
A 2500 is a lot more truck than a 1500. May not look that much different but underneath the body they are a lot more heavy duty. It will be 8600 GVWR versus 6400 GVWR. 2500HD is 9200 GVWR if I am not mistaken. The 2500 will have a stronger frame, brakes, suspension, axles as well as a 6.0l standard rather than the 4.8l. Now, you can find a 2007 or 2008, 2500 and even 2500HD in the $10k price range. But to be honest. That's in all likelihood putting you in a truck in no better or worse shape than your Jeep. An 08 2500HD Crew Cab with 6.0 and 4wd at 70,000 miles in good condition is priced right around $25,500 as per Kelly Blue Book. Those trucks hold their value.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.