Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax engine. Friday, I got a low coolant light. Topped it off. This morning, I backed the truck out of the driveway into the street. There were no spots on the driveway, but I noticed a new spot under the truck in the street a few hours later. Coolant level is ok.

Please see attached picture of where the leak appears to be coming from. I am new to these trucks so have limited knowledge as to what I am looking at.

Can anyone tell from the attached picture as to what the most likely cause of the leak is and point me in the direction as to how to repair?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My 2001 suburban 5.3l gas had a similar leak started around 150k mi. I decided it was the water pump after watching it for several months. I looked like it might be leaking out of the weep hole at the pump shaft and running down and dripping off where your is. Bought a pump and went to replace the old one. I found that the leak was at the gasket(s) betweeen the pump and the block as I was removing the old pump.

A friend with a 2002 Sierra 5.3 had a similar leak and just tightened up the water pump bolts and it stopped. his truck has about 250k miles on it now, still not leaking. You might just try tightening up the pump to see if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.