Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
THere is a lot of discussion on that on this forum already. I haven't done it yet, but from reading a lot of those threads, it is doable by the average joe but the #7 plug sounds like a pain. It is the rearward passenger side plug. Some get to it from above, some through the wheel well and it may require some ratchet adapters.

Two things that seem pretty much certain is that you want to use AC-Delco Iridium Plugs and AC-Delco wires. That is pretty much the consensus pick for replacement parts.

This HOW TO is for a 6.0 motor, but it should be similar to the 5.3L.
How to Replace the Spark Plugs on a Silverado/Sierra

If your truck takes the AC-Delco Iridium 41-110, then you are looking at about $5 per plug. Another $50 for the wires. There is a ACDelco spark plug rebate going on until the end of December for $2 per iridium plug:
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/A ... e-Form.pdf

· Registered
1,470 Posts
The job isn't bad at all. Like it was mentioned above the #7 plug on the passenger side against the firewall is the only real PITA.... With a little common sense and the right combination of extensions/adapters, its doable for any DIY type. I just did it this past weekend on my truck. Make sure and use di-electric grease on the connection btwn spark plug boot and spark plug.

I believe Platinum plugs were OEM standard for your year and engine. You'd be fine with those but I'd go ahead and do Iridiums... they are an upgrade over platinum. Shouldn't cost more than a bill to get good OEM replacement wires and plugs. Good luck

· Registered
259 Posts
As CritterGitter said, it's a fairly straight forward job for a novice, and simple for any seasoned mechanic with the right set of tools. #7 sucks but once you've done it a few times it's no problem. I just did them on my father's 02 3/4 ton last week. Also always go with OEM plugs and always do wires when you do plugs for best results.

· Banned
2,175 Posts
That would be #8 on the passenger side... right? Or if #7... driver side. I am assuming the passenger side, that's about the hardest one on my 11. Its been a while but I think its same one on those years.

· Registered
57 Posts
I think it is #8 that is the hardest on the Passenger side ..... i was basically laying on top of the car (only 3 inch lift). Took about 15-20 minutes just for #8, but the rest were fairly easy. 1,3,5,7 are a cake walk compared to 2,4,6,8

How hard is it to replace the actual coil? Still getting a misfire on cylinder 2 after replacing plugs and wires

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I think he might have been looking for actual parts numbers. Assuming it is a 1500 series with 5.3L, it looks like these two will fit the bill:

Original Equipment (OE)
Part Number: 743J
Spark Plug Wire Set
All; VIN: 0, Engine: LMG*; VIN: 3, Engine: LC9*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 2009-2013
Vehicle List

OR

Professional
Part Number: 748UU
Spark Plug Wire Set
All; VIN: 0, Engine: LMG*; VIN: 3, Engine: LC9*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 2009-2013

But to be sure, check it out for yourself on the ACDelco parts lookup:
http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalo ... search.php

· Registered
2,304 Posts
apcnc said:
That would be #8 on the passenger side... right? Or if #7... driver side. I am assuming the passenger side, that's about the hardest one on my 11. Its been a while but I think its same one on those years.
What side is the steering wheel on. English truck. Just Kidding

· Registered
10 Posts
The problem plug is the closest to the firewall on the passenger side. My plug socket has a 3/4 hex on the end. I found that a standard 3/8 drive 3/4 socket over the end of the plug socket was the perfect length for that hard to reach spark plug. The rest are easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.