Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Silverado 4x4, 52000 miles
Spun tires on some leaves the other day and when I made a turn, rear end seemed to be binding like when turning in 4 wd, which it wasn't. Never had that happen before. Sound normal??

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Does it do that on very turn now, or just the one after the tire broke loose? Has the rear end been serviced yet, maybe it's time to open up the diff and have a look...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I backed it up couple times and it let lose. Pulled in drive the other day and did it intentionally and it did it again. When I move it a bit back and forth it lets lose and is ok.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I'd look into getting it serviced, I've heard of needing to back up to get the 4x4 to disengage, but not the rear end...

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,203 Posts
Its a locking differential and not a Posi. Once it locks it will stay locked till you reach 20 mph or back up etc.

It may be just acting normal under the conditions you are subjecting it to. Lots of people think there are problems but often is a normal operating characteristic of the G80 Locker and more noticable when making tight turns. Spinning the tires locks it up, only need 100 rpm difference.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Z15 said:
Its a locking differential and not a Posi. Once it locks it will stay locked till you reach 20 mph or back up etc.

It may be just acting normal under the conditions you are subjecting it to. Lots of people think there are problems but often is a normal operating characteristic of the G80 Locker and more noticable when making tight turns. Spinning the tires locks it up, only need 100 rpm difference.
Nailed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.