Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here but not new to trucks. Ive done a crap load of research on this truck and now im coming to you guys for your opinion. So right now, I drive a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and its been my baby for a while. Done so much to it that its hard to think about selling it. However, someone is interested in it for a pretty good price and I found a silverado that I am really interested in.

http://www.abrightautosales.com/2006_Ch ... 306285.veh

My question is, is this worth getting with 200k miles? And how much longer will the engine last at 200k? I already went a drove it and the exterior and interior were very nice. My assumption is that they are a lot of highway miles. Tires are terrible, I think the drivers side wheel bearing is bad, and the steering made a "wooshing" sound on certain turns. The dealer has no records of a tranny rebuild or replacement so that is a shot in the dark. What other things should I look for that are typical problems for these years.

Other than that everything works; Heated seats, all the seat adjustments, bose stereo, etc. Engine ran fine too.

One of the main reasons I want a chevy is because I am planning more long cross country trips in the future and my dodge I dont think is comfortable enough or up to snuff for the trips.

What would you guys do? Would you take a chance on this truck? And how do you guys like your chevys?

· Registered
310 Posts
Hi I own a 2006 silverado with 146,xxx miles on it and have had no major problems, my neighbor had a 03 with 265,xxx before the tranny died. The engine was still solid. I also worked at a mechanic shops and i remember seeing a lot of 5.3 silverado's with 180,xxx-240,xxx miles....and they'd only be in for regular maintenance. Just some RLE examples if that helps.

As far as what you should be looking for,you should check out the front end, transfer case, and rust....but 200,000 highway miles with little to no towing or plowing is not bad for a truck engine!

goodluck

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is not a spot of rust on it. But yeah that makes me feel better about the possible purchase. How hard is it to service the steering? Feels like the PS pump might be on its way but it still works fine. Just makes that wooshing noise at times. Not all the time.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
if you do buy it, immediately replace all your fluids. You will save many components from future failures.
All fluids !!! It has 200k and you should assume nothing has been done to it. It could go another 200k if you treat it right.
But.... be prepared for things to go out on you, S**t happens.

The good news on a rig with 200k is that the bad parts have probably already failed by now and have been replaced.
Don't flush the tranny, just do a pan drop and filter replacement. All else flush away and get new fluids in it.
It's a crap shoot that could turn out well for you at the right price. Use the mileage to low ball the seller.
It will cost you around $500.00 in fluids if you do it yourself.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I planned on just starting with all fresh fluids like you said. Im not sure where you are getting that $500 number though lol Ive done my fluids in my ram multiple times and its no where close to that. Im not saying you are wrong im just curious why it would cost that much.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I use sythentics. I'm a sucker for the hype. hell the Valvoline tranny fluid was over $8.00 a quart alone. 15 quarts I believe. Then another 3 in the transfer case. I also bought a brake bleeder and a hose clamp tool that I needed. I just got done doing this last month. It took me almost a month to do it all a little bit at a time. I'm old and feeble LOL

· Registered
2,249 Posts
pink and sweet smelling is good. brown and burned smell is needing changed quickly. It doesn't mean there is a problem, we are just talking avoiding future problems. I think when you look at the truck again with an open mind, your common sense will kick in and you will know what your looking at. Look at all the fluids as it sits now. Use a white paper towel to clean off the different dipsticks. Dip in the brake reservoir and coolant tank and power steering tank. Brake fluid starts out clear and gets darker over time. How black is it. Power steering fluid starts out clear and turns dark over time. Antifreeze starts out with a pretty little color(whatever it is green, red, orange and just looks clean. How muddy or dark does it look. Anything floating around in the tank ? How black is the oil ? Check the window sticker to see the last change.
It doesn't mean anything is wrong but use this as an indicator as to how it was maintained. Also use this information to lower the price and let it pay for the costs alone to get it back in shape. Plugs, wires, and all that good stuff. It all adds up.
And he's right above, 5 quarts with a pan drop but you need to keep siphoning out the old every couple thousand miles. 2 - 3 quarts at a time over an extended period. Do not flush the tranny.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
This is all good advise especially the fluid change if you but it. Float around and ask about warranty like 6 months to a year and it will let you know how confident they are about the truck re: selling condition.

· Registered
310 Posts
Kgreen25 said:
Now on the 4wd, is it suppose to really "clunk" into gear when you press either the 4 hi or 4 lo button? Ive always had a manual transfer case shifter so im not sure if the clunk is normal.
Mine is pushbutton 4x4 and i never hear a clunk, it always just goes into 4 hi and 4 lo.....i'd rather a manual lever shifter like in my old jeep.

· Registered
310 Posts
when I go out to my truck today I am going to check again.....maybe the clunk in so subtle i've never noticed it? I thought it was a fairly smooth transaction into 4 lo

· Registered
1,520 Posts
All I ever owned also clunked. Very slight in high range. More noticeable when not moving and sitting on an incline for some reason. Agree right along with all the fluids and checking while switching them. An alternative method to get more trans fluid out in a flush is to actually use the trans pump to do it. Pull the lines off of the trans cooler and let the pump push old out into a bucket while pulling new in. Only thing is you need to have a spare set of hands and be ready to be fast as it pumps quite quickly. Trying to suck the fluid out of 1 quart at a time is a no go. Putting 10+ quarts in a bucket is the way to go to pull the fresh stuff out of is the way to go.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
4 low can get pretty clunky if you don't do it right. It's not like 4 high where you can just shift in and out of at will. 4 low sometimes needs a very very slow speed like 1-2 mph or less to slip in and out of.

· Registered
310 Posts
Gozzie said:
4 low can get pretty clunky if you don't do it right. It's not like 4 high where you can just shift in and out of at will. 4 low sometimes needs a very very slow speed like 1-2 mph or less to slip in and out of.
Thats exactly how i drop mine into 4lo. put in drive with no gas or break is the perfect speed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.