Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i let my truck sit for about 3 days, my battery gets very low and for the first time ever this past week it died and would not start. The only thing i have running full time is a volt meter gauge with no light on. Is this normal for a 2007 NNBS Silverado V6?

· Banned
2,175 Posts
No... It shouldn't run down. How old is the battery? You could have a battery issue or something could be drawing to much current staying on etc. Most of the electronics should more or less sleep when not being used. You will have a small drain from low consumption components but not enough to drain a good battery. The only way to know is to check the current draw while it sits. Or you can put it on charge overnight.. see if charges and do a load test. If you want to get a little deeper. Check the level make sure the plates are all submerged. Test voltage between each cell. Should have just over 2vdc on each. If one or more is drastically lower you probably need to just buy a new battery.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Could be battery but before you start swapping good parts for new, watch this video and check for a parasitic draw on your system. If you have something drawing power when the truck is off, it won't matter if you have a new battery or not.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Any battery that has to sit for extended periods will fail faster than a battery used every day. Who has ever had a garden tractor that had the battery die from winter storage? A brand new one will be dead in spring. I mean we learn and put a trickle charger on it. I am sure there is no exclusive parasitic draw on my garden tractor but this happens. It happens to truck batteries too, especially weak ones. I have no idea how old OP's battery, but it is time for a new one and if your gonna park for extended periods, get a battery tender and connect the battery portion to something that doesn't move and direct it near the wheel well so that you can connect it easily. This may or may not be feasible. I run an extension cord to get the distance and put the charger in a big open zip lock on top of the tire to keep it out of the elements. I trickle charge mine cause it sits for extended periods too. Cold weather will really help discharge it so consider trying this in the future if it's dooable. I trickle charge everything with a battery around here. My tractor has a 6 year old battery and still running strong. It's a 3 year battery. That is what is printed on it anyway. The little bit of extra work pays off. These chargers work well and are small and cheap. Like $25 for one of them. My ATV needs one cause it sits a lot. Try it if you can. You will have batteries last a great amount of time. This guy has a real easy connection lol.

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are all good ideas, my battery is about 2 years old and its a red top Optima. There is no way it should be failing me, the only thing i can think that might be draining it when its off is the voltmeter. I have a alarm that beeps once every few hours as well. Might it be a combination of both? How would i go about testing the amp draw when its off? Thanks for your input guys!

· Banned
2,175 Posts
That video posted by esox07 gives a pretty good description. Be sure to check the maximum load of the meter. If it stays Close or above the maximum for the alotted time disconnect or you may blow a fuse in the meter. Should be ok unless your really having a draw issue.

17,133 Posts
Knieghtz1 said:
These are all good ideas, my battery is about 2 years old and its a red top Optima. There is no way it should be failing me, the only thing i can think that might be draining it when its off is the voltmeter. I have a alarm that beeps once every few hours as well. Might it be a combination of both? How would i go about testing the amp draw when its off? Thanks for your input guys!
I posted this a few posts back. It is a video tutorial on exactly how to determine a parasitic draw and how to isolate it.

Your Optima should not be failing and I don't think a beep every few hours is a problem unless that alarm has some system continually active that is drawing continuous and significant amounts of power.

And I agree that if you let your truck sit for more than 3 or 4 days between uses, I would put a battery minder on it. I too had problems with my riding mower battery. The original lasted on summer. The next summer I had to charge it before each use. I replaced it the next spring and put it on a battery minder between uses and during the winter. It is going to be 5 years old next summer and is only warranted for one year. I have never had a problem with it starting my riding mower.

17,133 Posts
That should fix your problem. What did they stick you for on that battery?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.