Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy with a '03 Silverado 4.3L willing to accept an offer I gave him for a trade of my '96 C1500 and $2,000 cash.

History of my truck -
'96 C1500 5.0L 5sp 2wd 8' bed
216k miles
very rusty underneath, clean silver body, minimal damage for a "work truck"
needs lower ball joints
needs all 3 parking brake cables
needs seat reupholstered or replaced, pretty work on edge of driver side
no power options, no cd player, no A/C
new parts- less than 2,000 miles on: upper ball joints, front discs, rotors, calipers, pads, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, rear drums, shoes, hardware, trans mount, alternator & battery, drive belt and tensioner 2 years old.

His truck -
'03 Silverado 4.3L 5sp 2wd 8' bed
heat and A/C work
needs front parking brake cable
tinted windows
clean truck few scratches

Worth the trade? Is the 4.3L a reliable engine worthy of 200k miles? Any quirks to look out for?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
I think it would be a good trade. Onew thing the 4.3's are known for (as is your 5.0) is leaking intake gaskets. I'd plan on replacing them in the near future if they have not already been replaced. The 4.3 is a really good engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 4.3 in my 95 S10 and even after blowing the oil lines to the filter and running it dry for a little bit on the hwy she is still kicking currently around 180 to 190,000 mikes on her.....not as strong as she us to be but what is after nearly 20 years

·
Registered
533 Posts
I also think it's a good trade.
The 4.3s are great motors, I have owned 5 trucks with this motor, and I never had any problems with them,
except for doing an intake gasket on one.
Like ASTE said this was problem on the 4.3s, 5.0s and 5.7s from '96 on.
If I were you I would do it, provided that the other truck checks out good.

Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My truck

His truck

Only thing that stinks a bit is mine has all these new parts I've been putting on week after week for 2 years. I feel as if I could put the lower ball joints on mine, replace the parking brake cables, swap the remaining old brake lines for new, and roll another 100k. My truck is really reliable.

I only want to trade up because I have lots of other projects and don't need a truck keeping me occupied all the time. Other than that I don't mind working on it really and parts are readily available/cheap. A/C would be nice though! haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of my cars have A/C currently. When it's hot I ride a motorcycle. In northern KY it's only 90+ (can't ride in that weather w/ proper gear so I don't even try) for a few weeks each summer and I sweat it out in one of my cars/truck.

I only use a truck about a thousand miles each year, back and forth to hardware store, load of mulch, haul a motorcycle here or there, tow a car on a dolly for a friend occasionally, etc.

If I can trade I'll probably do it, but if he wants cash I don't think I will. We'll see, I'm not talking about another guy selling an '04 w/ a v8 and 5sp 135k standard cab, long bed... essentially same truck as my '96 just 8 years newer. He's asking $3,900 also.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Just my 0.02$ but the 4.3 is a terrible engine for a full size truck. My old man had an 86 with one. It was terrible. It went south and he had it swapped out for a new one. Even though I did my best to get him to put a 305 in it. Always had issues. Not to mention the lack of power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is rated 220hp and 285 tq, his at 200/260, so not much trade off in power, especially w/ 216k on mine it's probably only making 180hp lol.

KBB puts my '96 at about $1,500 which is what I told the guy. I think $3,500 is decent for his '03 that KBB books at $3,800 in good condition.

The guy with the '04 doesn't know which engine he has but knows it's a V8... so now I'm kinda more interested in that. He's firm at $3,700 though and it has 134k miles. KBB on it is $4,000 in good condition if it's a 5.3L which it probably is. His sounds nicer, but at 20k miles more than the '03 V6, that is like 5 years of driving for me.... so perhaps the lower mileage truck is better.

I hate decisions!

·
Registered
533 Posts
If the '04 your looking at has a 5 speed than I'll bet it's a 4.8 litre,
I don't think chevy offered the 5.3 with a 5 speed.
If it were me trying to choose between the two trucks, the 20k extra miles on the '04 wouldn't scare me.
I would just choose the one I thought was in better condition.
I would give each truck a GOOD looking over from underneath with a flashlight also,
it's common to see 10 year old trucks with a perfect body that are rusted the hell out underneath.
One nice thing about the '04 is that these v8s had no coolant passages in the intake manifold,
you may very well still have to do an intake gasket on the '04, but at least you won't ever have coolant get into the oil
this way.
It's also easier and cheaper on the v8.
Another advantage of the v8 trucks is the coil pack ignition system they have,
the 4.3s still had distributors until the 07 new body style.

I think the '03 is great looking truck by the way, love the dark green.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.