Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do yall use for an inverter (if you have installed one), and where did you install the plug in? Im not a fan of the 2014s, but that plug in in the front of the cab is nice... I want one. lol Also, if your plugged into an inverter... does it drain your battery if the truck is off? I have dual batteries in my Duramax so not sure how to go about installing one. Okay, Im lost... lol :twisted:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a cheap portable power inverter I use as needed. Mine just plugs into the aux power outlet, and yes, if left plugged in, it will drain the battery as our outlets always have power. There are nicer ones with power switches that can be hardwired and turned on/off as needed. I actually almost hardwired mine once and if I did that, I would've taken the inverter apart and mounted the outlets somewhere on the dash and ran the unit inside of my dash, and installed a switch so it'd be on only as needed. It wouldn't take much to do something like that, I just don't use an inverter that much anymore.

First off, what do you plan to be running off of the inverter, if it's just cell phones or maybe a computer, you don't need a big one, maybe 100-300 watt inverter. That will tell you what size you need and where there's room to mount one. You can easily mount the outlets in the upper glove compartment if you want something hidden or in the center console or middle seat storage for the upper trim level trucks. There's plenty of options, but you have to decide how it'll be used. For me, I was going to make a cover for the passenger side cubby next to the heater controls and remove the cubby completely, then I"d have the socket mounted there with a clean looking switch and hide the inverter behind the dash in that area.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.