Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

1st post ever. I looking for a little help.

I tried to move my camper yesterday with the emergency breakaway cable detached. I might have drug the camper an inch or 2 before getting out realizing the problem.

Once I reattached the cable to the trailer, the trailer brakes unlocked and I was able to haul it home but my trucks integrated brake controller isn't working now.

My truck's DIC has a message saying "Service Trailer Brake system" and if I let the truck/trailer coast a bit and press the brake buttons together, nothing happens. I tried adjusting the gain. No change.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to reset the controller? I have read some other forums that said the IBC can be damaged by testing the breakaway cable with the trailer cable attached at the same time. Thats what I did so maybe I fried it?

2011 Silverado 5.3L Z71 CrewCab with tow pkg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I had that same message on my 2008. The problem was the connection directly behind the bumper. I unplugged it cleaned it and sprayed the contacts and problem solved. Quite a common problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
If the Break Away switch cable was detached from the switch on the camper for any decent period of time, that would tell me that the breaks on the camper were fully engaged. The brakes on the camper are actuated by the 12v battery on the camper. This is a perfect way to "burn" the magnets out of the trailers brakes. It may be that there is nothing wrong with the trucks controller, it may be it is sensing that there is a problem with the trailers brakes due to them being "full on" from the brake away switch being activated.

You did not indicate how long you felt the brake away switch was pulled. So I am just throwing this out as a possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Try locating the fuse for the controller in the fuse box (itbc fuse I believe). Pull the fuse and put it back in. This seemed to reset the message for me. Let me know if this works for you, I've posted this solution for others with the same issue with no feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

thejmay - Thanks! I received a couple suggestions from around the web to check/pull the ITBC fuse and it worked. The trailer brakes worked again when putting it away for winter and error was gone.

3Silveradowtls - only moved the camper a couple inches with cable unplugged so I am hoping there wasnt any damage to trailer brakes. Doesn't look like it but I only took it for a trip around the block at 25 mph. Won't really know until spring....
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top