Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a question for you. I have an 07 Silverado with the factory 20" rims. I have been having a problem lately with lots of air loss on all of my tires. For example this past Friday I set them all to the right pressure and this morning they were all almost 10 psi lower. I know that some loss is normal when it gets colder but this seems like too much. I have checked all the tires for leaks and they are all good. I am wondering if maybe I need to have them taken off the rims and redone and see if that helps. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Have you sprayed soapy water all the way around the inner and outer beads?

The factory aluminum wheels tend to develop corrosion on the inner lip, if they aren't treated properly when the tires are changed.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
Try over-inflating just a bit, and focus on one tire at a time with the soapy water test. No more than 50-60psi. Also, check the valve stem cores, it could be just a loose core, even though it would be odd for it to affect all 4 tires, but it's a pretty quick check/fix.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,373 Posts
Have you double checked with another gauge or two? Seems odd they would all be about the same. I have seen gauges that are way off.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually just going off of my tpms and the pressures that is showing me on the dash but when I add air I set them to the proper pressure with a gauge. The readouts on the truck are usually dead on with what I set them to using the gauge.

· Banned
2,175 Posts
I was going to suggest a gauge if using tpms. Mine or not correct. tried them against all my gauges and they are about 3-4 PSI off so that may be your issue. Try a new gauge. Is it off when the tires are hot? Could even have some ice when cold.

· Registered
572 Posts
Lee's07 said:
......have checked all the tires for leaks and they are all good. I am wondering if maybe I need to have them taken off the rims and redone and see if that helps.....
I'm confused. If there are no leaks, what would having the tires "redone" do? There either is a leak or there isn't. Would be amazing if all the tires leaked the very same amount.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Be careful here folks...what's the PSI rating of the tires? Don't go spouting off 35psi when OP has E rated tires...what rating is your tires OP?

My truck has E rated, first time owning set of these and I was running 35 PSI...drove like poo til I figured it out, I now run 55 PSI...

Just saying...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
GR2017 said:
Lee's07 said:
......have checked all the tires for leaks and they are all good. I am wondering if maybe I need to have them taken off the rims and redone and see if that helps.....
I'm confused. If there are no leaks, what would having the tires "redone" do? There either is a leak or there isn't. Would be amazing if all the tires leaked the very same amount.
Reseat the beads if they are corroded..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
2,175 Posts
GobblerK5 said:
Be careful here folks...what's the PSI rating of the tires? Don't go spouting off 35psi when OP has E rated tires...what rating is your tires OP?

My truck has E rated, first time owning set of these and I was running 35 PSI...drove like poo til I figured it out, I now run 55 PSI...

Just saying...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
??? why would you put 35 PSI in an LT? That's definitely not what I was suggesting if it sounded that way. I actually run 34PSI in mine but they are not LT. In fact they aren't P Metric. The load range scale converts to 34 PSI from the original P metric scale. Previous point is that in the OEM 37 PSI would cool down around 35. Just a starting point, but you still want to recheck them cold.

You can find you rated load in the chart and find the pressure in the load chart for any other tire. That's what they are for. Even if you want to do a chalk test that's where I would start from if nothing else but should be where you want to be unless your hauling a lot of weight.

· Registered
554 Posts
If the soapy water doesn't work, it may be better to take each wheel off and completely submerge it in water to spot any slow leaks. It could be very tiny and deep in the tread, check along the rim (tires can shift {ever so minutely} if really torqued like a sudden stop), and check all around the valve and valve stem. How old are the tires? Are they starting to break down? 7 to 10 years old it could be an issue.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tires are roughly 4 years old. I'm thinking they are slowly leaking around the rims due to corrosion. I will have to try again with some soapy water one tire at a time. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,373 Posts
I have had the bead corrosion occur in the past on 90's era truck. I recall one instance where it took some time for soap bubbles to form around the bead. The wheel has to come off and lay flat so the soap solution would stay on the bead. Don't forget to check both sides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.