Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the truck world, and am not much of a mechanic, so don't know a lot about this new-to-me 2008 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab with the 6.6L diesel engine. Would this unit (Car Android BT Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader - Car Android BT Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader | eBay) be good to get to check the codes, or do any kind of "tuning"? I was wondering if this can at least clear the TPM error, even though I already picked up a TPM reset tool from Amazon, so I can get rid of the message that says one of my TPM modules is not working, on both my truck and my wife's Chevy Equinox, but haven't had time to try it.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
2010 GMC Sierra WT RCSB
442 Posts
The elm327 will be able to read general engine codes or view live data with a compatible app such as torque pro but I think you will also need the tpms reset tool for your issue. If the existing sensors don't program then it could be a dead sensor (battery). In that case you may also need one or more new tire pressure sensors. As for tuning, no the elm327 won't do that either. It is a good cheap option for reading codes but for tuning look into diablosport or hptuners. The tuners will also read codes but are much more expensive

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,911 Posts
Tuning is a completely separate thing, but if this is a vehicle you are planning to diagnose and work on yourself, just get a used or knockoff tech ii setup. It can read codes from all the computers in the truck, perform all the diagnostic procedures for figuring out what's wrong, as well as things like repair procedures like pulsing the abs system to bleed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The elm327 will be able to read general engine codes or view live data with a compatible app such as torque pro but I think you will also need the tpms reset tool for your issue. If the existing sensors don't program then it could be a dead sensor (battery). In that case you may also need one or more new tire pressure sensors. As for tuning, no the elm327 won't do that either. It is a good cheap option for reading codes but for tuning look into diablosport or hptuners. The tuners will also read codes but are much more expensive
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed to know.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,442 Posts
Tech 2 is outdated a while ago. It'll work for your needs, but there are much better options that'll do the same or more.

I use snapon scan tools personally, but the autel units are likely what I'll be moving to next year. The Bosch units are also nice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tech 2 is outdated a while ago. It'll work for your needs, but there are much better options that'll do the same or more.

I use snapon scan tools personally, but the autel units are likely what I'll be moving to next year. The Bosch units are also nice
Most of the scanners and tuning tools I've seen so far can cost several hundred dollars, which is more than I can afford right now. If you've got a good, CHEAP option, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Most of the scanners and tuning tools I've seen so far can cost several hundred dollars, which is more than I can afford right now. If you've got a good, CHEAP option, I'm all ears.
GOOD ones, that can do everything, including doing factory GM programming updates and diagnostics for most of the modules in a vehicle, will be over $1,000+.... And you'd also need to get a subscription to ACDelco TIS2WEB to be able to get factory programming updates, which is $$$... would need that for a Tech2 as well...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I don't think anybody makes a tuner for less than several hundred dollars (as in, one that you can then use to create the tune for your truck). You might find somebody local who will make a tune for you, and load the tune into your truck for that little...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think anybody makes a tuner for less than several hundred dollars (as in, one that you can then use to create the tune for your truck). You might find somebody local who will make a tune for you, and load the tune into your truck for that little...
Good to know. Thanks.
I think if it's going to be that much, I'll have a shop do it, so I have someone to go back to if it's not right.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
yeah... handhelds that come with preset canned tunes on them, are $500+... and you can not do custom tuning with them... can just install the preset canned tunes that come on them, and only adjust things like speed limiter and tire height/diameter to correct speedo, that's it... You would have to take it to a shop to get tuned with different software... or buy the software yourself and tune it yourself... again, $$$$$ for the interface, software, credits, laptop if you don't have one already, and then of course all of the learning/reading reading reading reading for how to tune it...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
...you could save a couple dollars buying one of those, but they ain't no tech-ii, and can't do what it can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts