Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

These days, even a simple automotive repair can cost upwards of a thousand dollars at a professional shop. Big-ticket jobs, such as engine and transmission replacements, can really break the bank, sometimes costing more than $10,000.

With that in mind, we want to know: What’s the most expensive automotive repair you’ve ever had to pay for? Was it an engine, a transmission, or something else altogether? Let’s hear your story!

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,590 Posts
Probably changing my transmission fluid. New pan gasket, new filter, about 14 qts of fluid were added/flushed through it. ATF is expensive. Did it myself so that saved however many $100s of dollars in labor.

Next most expensive "repair" is probably to replace my steering gear box. It's going to be about $400 just for the box, not including the new lines and fluid. I'm putting it off until next year as it's not critical right now, just tired.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Transmission rebuilds got me in the last few years. $3500 2 years and 1a months ago, and another $3500 a month ago. First one was a tranny shop, second I did it myself with a GM reman.
My boys Mustang that he and I were rebuilding had a cracked head and a broken piston ring, that was a 5 grand bill, though we did up the horsepower a wee bit.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably changing my transmission fluid. New pan gasket, new filter, about 14 qts of fluid were added/flushed through it. ATF is expensive. Did it myself so that saved however many $100s of dollars in labor.

Next most expensive "repair" is probably to replace my steering gear box. It's going to be about $400 just for the box, not including the new lines and fluid. I'm putting it off until next year as it's not critical right now, just tired.
If those are your most expensive repairs, you're doing very well, indeed!

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transmission rebuilds got me in the last few years. $3500 2 years and 1a months ago, and another $3500 a month ago. First one was a tranny shop, second I did it myself with a GM reman.
My boys Mustang that he and I were rebuilding had a cracked head and a broken piston ring, that was a 5 grand bill, though we did up the horsepower a wee bit.
At least you got to make the Mustang a little bit more fun in the process!

·
Registered
590 Posts
A transmission rebuild in my Dodge Caravan, 18 years ago. Cost me $2200. I've been able to do most of my other repairs by myself with just the cost of parts and time. As I'm getting older and it is becoming more physically unpleasant for me to do my own repairs, I see the day coming where I'm going to start paying for someone to do this work.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A transmission rebuild in my Dodge Caravan, 18 years ago. Cost me $2200. I've been able to do most of my other repairs by myself with just the cost of parts and time. As I'm getting older and it is becoming more physically unpleasant for me to do my own repairs, I see the day coming where I'm going to start paying for someone to do this work.
If that repair cost $2,200 eighteen years ago, we can only imagine what it would cost today!

·
Registered
37 Posts
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel.......
Turbo- $3000
Turbo (again) $3000
Electronics- $2500
Turbo (again) $3500
All with less than 50k miles and vehicle was meticulously maintained.

Did I mention the Turbo?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,837 Posts
I think the most expensive repair I had to do was my exhaust leak but that was because I put headers on it o_O

A true repair on my truck honestly was repairing the leather on my driver seat or my gauge cluster. They both were like $250 although the driver seat was repaired at two separate times at $125 each time.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Rear end rebuild.

Went from 3.42s to 4.11s, then after 80k the g80 decided it was done and a pinion tooth broke.

Replaced with 4.56s and a true trac, little over $1000 for everything.

Trans will likely be in the future if I keep it long enough, friend paid $4500 for his 6l80 to be rebuilt recently.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the most expensive repair I had to do was my exhaust leak but that was because I put headers on it o_O

A true repair on my truck honestly was repairing the leather on my driver seat or my gauge cluster. They both were like $250 although the driver seat was repaired at two separate times at $125 each time.
It sounds like you're doing amazingly well if those are the most expensive repairs you've had to do to a 1999 model year truck!

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear end rebuild.

Went from 3.42s to 4.11s, then after 80k the g80 decided it was done and a pinion tooth broke.

Replaced with 4.56s and a true trac, little over $1000 for everything.

Trans will likely be in the future if I keep it long enough, friend paid $4500 for his 6l80 to be rebuilt recently.
$1k isn't bad! That's the beauty of being able to DIY :)

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,837 Posts
It sounds like you're doing amazingly well if those are the most expensive repairs you've had to do to a 1999 model year truck!
The trans rebuild was free, someone owed me a favor ;) also to be fair I have only owned it for 4 years now.
My father and grandfather may have paid a bit more for repairs but don't know for sure.

Also carparts y'all are the best vendor here. Although your questions are random they do incite conversation and I'm glad you post them :D

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,590 Posts
I did spend $2k on front end parts, full Kryptonite setup and upper control arms, but that was more of an upgrade than a "necessary" repair. The cost to replace that stuff using good ACDelco/GM parts would probably have been around $300, so still fairly cheap. These NBS are fairly cheap to keep on the road, especially if you go with the parts store branded parts.

Seeing the diesel repair list above is exactly why I don't want one. Single parts on the diesel engine cost as much as a whole replacement engine for my truck (maybe used, but still readily available).

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,442 Posts
Transmission on my 91 Silverado.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you sell it after the third turbo? :LOL:
That's why I drive a GMC now!
I traded it in to a Bay Area GMC dealer for a new (2013) gasser. The dealer said it was the cleanest used truck he had seen in years. He sold it to a friend of his who got 30 miles from the dealer. KaBlewy! Entire bottom end hit the pavement. They apparently split $14k replacement motor and I ended up with an awesome truck. Never again Ford.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The trans rebuild was free, someone owed me a favor ;) also to be fair I have only owned it for 4 years now.
My father and grandfather may have paid a bit more for repairs but don't know for sure.

Also carparts y'all are the best vendor here. Although your questions are random they do incite conversation and I'm glad you post them :D
Thank you for the positive feedback! We enjoy reading all of your responses!

Also, it's great to have a truck that's been passed down in the family. That's definitely one you want to keep around!

·
Vendor
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did spend $2k on front end parts, full Kryptonite setup and upper control arms, but that was more of an upgrade than a "necessary" repair. The cost to replace that stuff using good ACDelco/GM parts would probably have been around $300, so still fairly cheap. These NBS are fairly cheap to keep on the road, especially if you go with the parts store branded parts.

Seeing the diesel repair list above is exactly why I don't want one. Single parts on the diesel engine cost as much as a whole replacement engine for my truck (maybe used, but still readily available).
That is one of the perks of owning a GM product. Parts are usually relatively affordable and easily obtainable!

And yes, modern diesel trucks can be very expensive to repair! If you don't need the extra towing power of a diesel, gas is often the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts