Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have finally had time to refresh my 5.3 by changing all the seals and gaskets along with new sensors, do my BTR Truck stage 2 cam swap and also give my 5.3 a good cleaning inside and out. I also had PRC do some porting and machine the 243 heads down to 63cc chambers to go with my Cometic 3.910 bore .045 thickness head gaskets to bump the static compression to 10.5:1 and DCR to 8.5:1. I am replacing every gasket, seal and sensor on the engine, All OEM stuff. Now I know all gaskets and seals go on dry and should not using any type of sealant on them. What type fo RTV or sealant are you guys using when putting on the front and rear timing covers, around the corners where it meets the block/oil pan. I have the Sac City Corvette alignment tools for the front and rear covers so that will make life a heck of a lot easier. Just wondering what you guys perfer, I have been told RTV black and grey, does it really matter?

· Registered
302 Posts
The oe stuff that comes on them is gray.I prefer gray my self,with that said I wouldn't pickup the oe stuff you only need a few pea sized dabs.The oe stuff comes in a tube that goes on a caulking gun,a waste for as little as you need.Some gray prematex should by fine.

Edit:I just googled it,I guess you can get the oe stuff in a smaller tube.Working at the dealer all we every got was caulking gun tubes.I don't know what color the stuff in the link below is.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88 ... aQod2rsIgw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.