Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the subject relates, I have HID low beams installed on my 3/4 ton. I purchased the truck with them already on it. However, my passenger side low beam every so often won't want to turn on. The only way I have been able to turn it on is by turning off the truck waiting a few seconds and then starting it up again. The most I have had to do this in order to get it to boot up is about 3 times. Once it is on, it has never turned back off on its own while driving around.

Does anybody have an idea of what might be the cause? I have checked connections in the harness and made sure everything was sound. I am hoping that the bulb is just going bad because while they look great, they are a little too blue (my guess is 8000k), and it depletes my ability to see at night. So, I would like to get whiter bulbs put in anyways, but don't want to purchase new bulbs and still be stuck with the same issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
Its the Ballast. Do you know what brand they are?

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, good to know, that was my next hope, as they are cheapo Xentec ballasts. I've had these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FC22P ... JQIFEVJ34V

In my amazon cart, for a week or so. Good reviews, was trying to decide between these and a Kensun kit.

Hoping since I'm already set up with HIDs it is just a plug and play install. I've never done a conversion, so I'm not familiar with the process. Which also means I'm not sure if it has the drl relay harness either.

As long as I go with the same size bulb, h8/h9/h11, should this be a plug and play installation?

Thanks.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
They will work, just not properly.

Better off getting a higher quality kit. Or you could just pull your DRL fuses and save that hassle.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks for the info. I'm alright with spending a bit more money for higher quality. Any way to tell if the ones you linked Ferraiolo1 will be plug and play? Or will how simple of a job is the install? Wiring and electrical work is definitely not my strong suit.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
Pretty much all of them are plug and play, you just have to make sure you play with the plugs properly

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
All hid kits are plug and play. You just run an extra wire to your Battery and another to ground. You could just follow the existing wires. It's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.