Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new exhaust put on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. It is a 3" all the way back from the third cat with a free flowing muffler in between. I noticed a reduction in mileage after picking it up, it's only been a few days. Could this be from the exhaust (I don't drive it to hear it), or because it's getting cold and the winter blend fuel? I have read so many posts about back pressure and scavenging my head is spinning. I would just like to hear some real world situations. Thanks All.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Give it a little time for your computer to adjust. I have 3in with a straight through muffler on my 15 and didn't gain or loose anything.

These trucks have enough back pressure with the three cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
207 Posts
bigblack said:
I just had a new exhaust put on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. It is a 3" all the way back from the third cat with a free flowing muffler in between. I noticed a reduction in mileage after picking it up, it's only been a few days. Could this be from the exhaust (I don't drive it to hear it), or because it's getting cold and the winter blend fuel? I have read so many posts about back pressure and scavenging my head is spinning. I would just like to hear some real world situations. Thanks All.

this plus if you like the way your exhaust sounds you probably have been a little heavier on the throttle.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it appears to have been me just worrying. After a couple days or driving and I assume my truck "recalibrating" I'm back up to 20.2 mpg. I'm pretty happy about that. Thanks to everyone for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.