Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Did you mean this one? http://www.racemmi.com/

The website is a bit sketchy, not going to lie. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering that expensive of a kit from either of those locations. This is the kind of work where you want to make sure you get quality parts. I can't open the ebay link while at work, but on the site they don't even mention what model or brand of turbo they are using.

Also, while this kit might be turn key from the hardware side, the tuning will still need to be done. On top of this, if you're looking at twin turbos there are a LOT of engine upgrades needed to handle that amount of power. With the amount of boost pressure that you can get out of two turbos, you would need much larger fuel injectors, probably a fuel pump upgrade, and would likely have to build the lower end. Another concern is their mention of working with the factory exhaust. It might be doable, but I would imagine you would need to update the factory 4.8 exhaust to handle the flow that system would put out.

All in all, I would avoid this and look at some better kits. Also, twin turbo and 600-1000 HP is quite serious and there would need to be a lot of supplementary supporting work done to handle it if you're serious about those levels of HP.

Good luck!

~Epyon

· Registered
798 Posts
I think performing a cam swap while turboing is a great move, at that point the cost is minimal and the right cam will help you take advantage of your setup.

My recommendation is to think about this as a wholesale drivetrain upgrade. Just throwing a turbo and tune at the truck will probably kill the transmission. Spend a lot of time reading build threads and make sure you've got all of your bases covered, things like:

-cooling
-transmission upgrades
-torque converter
-top end upgrades
-bottom end upgrades
-custom built exhaust/intake systems
-upgraded fuel system (injectors get expensive quickly)
-etc., etc., etc.

However much you think you are going to spend, add at least 50% for unknowns that you will run across and make sure you are good with spending that money. Builds stall quickly when you run out of money.

Good luck.

· Registered
7 Posts
everyone on here is saying that you need to rebuild you top end and bottom end. there all wrong yeah you might have to throw some new valve springs on the top end and a cam but nothing more then that the bottom end will hold 900hp ive seen it done my drag car has a 4.8 with a cam and valve springs and makes about 650 to the wheels and im only using a single turbo 73mm it makes a little over 760 to the flywheel you dont have to invest that much to make a good amount of power but you do need to know how to tune or take it to be tuned. most people rebuild everything because they dont know what certain parts can hold if your nervous about anything just throw new heads and push rods on it and youll make well over 6-700hp.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
The English language has this cool concept... Its called punctuation. Its a good time, you should give it a whirl.

As far as the garbage fleabay turbo kit, Get serious OP and consider the other variables in building a truck with forced induction. I'm assuming that your truck being better than 15yrs old now has some serious mileage on it. It is tired. Throwing a blower/turbo kit on it is just going to send it to its grave much sooner. Save your money.

· Registered
1 Posts
ssturbos said:
everyone on here is saying that you need to rebuild you top end and bottom end. there all wrong yeah you might have to throw some new valve springs on the top end and a cam but nothing more then that the bottom end will hold 900hp ive seen it done my drag car has a 4.8 with a cam and valve springs and makes about 650 to the wheels and im only using a single turbo 73mm it makes a little over 760 to the flywheel you dont have to invest that much to make a good amount of power but you do need to know how to tune or take it to be tuned. most people rebuild everything because they dont know what certain parts can hold if your nervous about anything just throw new heads and push rods on it and youll make well over 6-700hp.
I agree! Sbe even in a gen 3 are capable of quite a bit. Upgrade the valve train. If you plan on pulling the heads throw dome ls9 gaskets and headstuds in. And a worn engine will hsve better ring gap which is perfect for boost.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.