Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 1998 Silverado is getting a new radiator, it only has the radiator for trans cooler hookups, I accidentally bought the radiator that has both trans and engine cooler hookups. Is it ok if I use the radiator or do I need to exchange it for just the one with trans cooler hookups?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello my 1998 Silverado is getting a new radiator, it only has the radiator for trans cooler hookups, I accidentally bought the radiator that has both trans and engine cooler hookups. Is it ok if I use the radiator or do I need to exchange it for just the one with trans cooler hookups?
Sorry I have a 5.0!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
In general, you should replace radiators with the same type as the one that was in it before, unless you're trying to upgrade.

If your new radiator replaces a standalone transmission intercooler AND your stock radiator, you should be fine. You will have to plumb all your fluids correctly, but it shouldn't affect any normal operation.

If you haul a lot with it, or do a lot of intense off-roading that causes elevated transmission fluid temperature, though, you generally should have separate dedicated radiators for both your engine coolant and your transmission fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In general, you should replace radiators with the same type as the one that was in it before, unless you're trying to upgrade.

If your new radiator replaces a standalone transmission intercooler AND your stock radiator, you should be fine. You will have to plumb all your fluids correctly, but it shouldn't affect any normal operation.

If you haul a lot with it, or do a lot of intense off-roading that causes elevated transmission fluid temperature, though, you generally should have separate dedicated radiators for both your engine coolant and your transmission fluid.
Thanks, I'm not actually going to do a lot with it. The original motor has 302k and runs fine, I want to replace the 5.0 with a 383 eventually

1 - 5 of 5 Posts