Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:unsure:

Have had this truck for about two weeks or so, and am still getting used to it. Up until yesterday, I had not noted this (problem). I get home and shut down the ignition and radio is going. I understand it will and (should) keep playing while I'm still behind the wheel, but I'm expecting it to go out when I open the door.
Got out yesterday and tried it again this morning, the damn radio keeps playing after I'm out and the doors have locked and milage hours, etc. still displayed on dash.

Now I imagine after a short while it shut itself off, but why is it doing this???

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,819 Posts
Check your settings and/or do a reset. Check your owner's manual too..

·
Premium Member
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(y)

Thanks, I will look into my settings and see if it is something I caused. Will not do a reset as that would wipe out all the pre-sets I had to (re-enter) after a trip to the dealership two days ago to get my rep to show me how to set up my favorites on the radio. In the process, he wiped out my settings.........long story. So back at home, I had to start from scratch and get my "preferences"/seat settings, etc. set up all over again.

·
Administrator
6,530 Posts
Could be a problem with your door latch. The truck is not sensing when you open the door.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

Have had this truck for about two weeks or so, and am still getting used to it. Up until yesterday, I had not noted this (problem). I get home and shut down the ignition and radio is going. I understand it will and (should) keep playing while I'm still behind the wheel, but I'm expecting it to go out when I open the door.
Got out yesterday and tried it again this morning, the damn radio keeps playing after I'm out and the doors have locked and milage hours, etc. still displayed on dash.

Now I imagine after a short while it shut itself off, but why is it doing this???
I have a 2021 2500 which I took delivery on in March. It has an IOR radio and has been having similar problems starting about two weeks after taking delivery. Screen flipping, stations self-changing, volume self-changing and yes, radio unit staying on when door is opened. To date the dealer has swapped out the radio twice. No changes. This past week they installed a replacement harness (p/n 84570885). No indication yet as to whether this “fix” is going to work. At one time I suspected it was caused by excessive heat but at this point in time I just don’t know.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Measure down from the top of the radio screen 36.5mm and make a horizontal line. Then measure from the drivers side of the 72.1mm and make a vertical line. now you should have a horizontal/vertical cross. Cover the area with clear tape. I have found that regular household Scotch tape works best. Next use a laser pointer attached to the drivers side seat and aim it at that exact spot. Open the passenger door and sit in that seat. Place your left hand slightly below and to the right of the mark. The, using your right hand, grasp your trusty 16 oz. ball peen hammer and smash the screen right at that spot. The new replacement radio won‘t do the same thing, though you might consider leaving the stock radio sitting on the console to make the new radio understand what happens to radios that don’t follow the rules.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Is this a factory or aftermarket radio? If aftermarket, I would guess they wired the accessories wire to power which would cause this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this problem. There's a switch inside the door handle that engages/disengages when open and closed. You will need to take the entire assembly out and then either swap a new switch in or just replace the whole thing (I did the whole one and it wasn't expensive)

·
Premium Member
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this problem. There's a switch inside the door handle that engages/disengages when open and closed. You will need to take the entire assembly out and then either swap a new switch in or just replace the whole thing (I did the whole one and it wasn't expensive)
(y)
I'm believing that it is indeed the door switch. This morning, tried it again and radio did shut down as I would expect it to do. I still have warranty left and will take it to the dealer if this problem continues. Thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
7 Posts

This is why the dealership mechanics are not making sense with replacing the interface module , there are times that they are like part replacers than mechanics , common sense tells me with the key in my hand and the door open for me to leave the radio should be off or should the truck still be running too ? Maybe l am old school. This is the problem I am have also and can‘t get a answer that makes sense!

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is why the dealership mechanics are not making sense with replacing the interface module , there are times that they are like part replacers than mechanics , common sense tells me with the key in my hand and the door open for me to leave the radio should be off or should the truck still be running too ? Maybe l am old school. This is the problem I am have also and can‘t get a answer that makes sense!
Before the issue, the radio normally stayed on until you open the door right? If the switch in the door is bad then it won't turn it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts