Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my range afm disable device today, I drive my truck pretty much daily will it be ok to leave it pluged in or will it drain my battery? Thank for any advise.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My truck sits Monday - Friday and I unplug it on these days to be safe. Love the product!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My truck has often sat for 5 days with the devise plugged in with no problem, though when I do start my truck the voltmeter is showing over 14 volts showing the system is charging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like everyone likes the product and I guess I am safe leaving it pluged in full time un less I am not going to drive my truck for a few days. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Mine has been plugged into the port since the mileage was at 240 miles on the odometer. The mileage is almost to 6000 miles. The pickup does not get used every day, as it is not a daily commuter vehicle. It never sits longer than a couple of days. Never got a hint that it was eating a lot of power to cause a battery failure. The Battery gets a good charge up when we do use it, since the pickup gets decent run time going to town and back from the farm. I get the feeling that if one has a battery that is going south anyway, it might be an issue. With a good battery, not so much.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I leave mine in all the time never had an issue

·
Registered
386 Posts
I got mine yesterday. I wasn't concerned about the battery draw since I drive it everyday but I'm concerned about the sub zero temps this winter. The Range site does not say anything about that. Anyone think the cold will hurt of affect the device?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
No moving parts, so not sure it should be an issue. If it is going to die in the cold, so would the ECM in the pickup I would think.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah you are probably right. If it was an issue they would have in on the site I would imagine also. If I know it's gonna get really cold that night I'll just take it off, no biggie anyway.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I wonder if one of the techy guys on the list has every hooked up a tester to see what kind of draw the thing is using when the truck is off. Is it possible to test that? It would be an interesting test. I imagine Range Technology has done extensive testing on this and probably has the data somewhere but I doubt it is available online. Has anyone on the forum done this kind of testing on the AFM Delete?

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can use disconnect your positive battery cable and touch a voltmeter to battery and cable that's off. It will show amp draw from the battery. Test it with the device plugged in and without and compare. I don't have one of these YET but from what I hear, it just has an LED indicator light? Shouldn't drain much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
A simple LED indicator light shouldn't draw a battery down after a month without running the vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed a new Range Technology AFM disabler today.

When I turn off the ignition, the unit is not detected when the truck is re-started.

I have to unplug and re-plug the unit for it to be active again.

Anyone else experience this issue with the disabler??

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I have not heard of that happening before. At times, it will allow 4 cyl mode after the unit has been left plugged in for more than a couple weeks straight, but that is solved by unplugging it temporarily and then replugging it in. It has never happened in less than two weeks for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.