Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to use an extension on my click type torque wrench to reach the lug nuts on my tires. Does the extension introduce error into the process? Judging from some of the tires and rims I've seen I'm not the only one using an extension to torque the lug nuts to spec.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,127 Posts
Not enuf ro worry about. If you're that concerned about it, then in theory even attaching a socket to the torque wrench's drive would change the geometry and therefore the specification.
Don't worry about the chickenshit.
Half the time I never even use the torque wrench on my wheels.

·
Registered
2022 Silverado 1500 CC Z71 w/ LM2
1,480 Posts
There will be negligible loss with an extension like the article says but you will definitely see different torque values when using a crow's foot type extension. I researched this a pretty good amount when doing some work on my last truck and having to torque a few bolts that I couldn't get a socket on. I had to use the click-type torque wrench with a crow's foot extension.

There are formulas all over the web and even a few apps that will help with the conversions.

·
Registered
11 Silverado 1500
114 Posts
The only time I've ever noticed a real world loss of torque due to using an extension is when using it on an impact to loosen or tighten a nut. The tool looses torque, but a torque wrench, used in the hand, if there is any loss it would be so small and negligible as to not amount to anything.

·
Registered
660 Posts
An extension should change nothing as long as you keep everything in line and supported like you normally would.
This. Multiple tests have been done that a single straight extension does not change in any neglible way for a torque wrench. Now, if you strung like 9 extensions together, you might end up with some slop somewhere in there affecting something but we're not going to string 9 of them together, are we? .......are we? :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
As long as the torque wrench, extensions, socket etc have stopped turning when the torque reading is taken, there is no 'loss of torque'.
When there is no motion, then the torque at each end MUST be the same, in order for all the applied forces to balance.

Crowsfoot changes the geometry -- the effect depends on what angle the crowsfoot is at when taking the torque reading.

Better explanation, including diagrams:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not enuf ro worry about. If you're that concerned about it, then in theory even attaching a socket to the torque wrench's drive would change the geometry and therefore the specification.
Don't worry about the chickenshit.
Half the time I never even use the torque wrench on my wheels.
Apparently the guys who put my new tires on didn't use a torque wrench (on some not even an impact tool) either. If someone besides me puts my wheels back on my truck I always check the lug nuts for under torque values. Out of the 24 lug nuts on my truck only 3 of them (left rear tire) were torqued to at least the proper torque value. I don't try to see of they are over torqued - not sure how to do that even if I wanted to. Several of the lug nuts were so loose I think they got in a hurry and forgot to even use an impact tool to at least tighten them before using a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The same crew that put my new tires on my truck must have all attended the same "installing and torquing the lugnuts" & "tire inflation 101" seminars. My tires were installed and inflated to the following values: Left Front - 37 PSI, Right Front - 43 PSI, Left Rear - 42 PSI and Right Rear - 33 PSI. I've verified on more than one occasion the accuracy of the air pressure sensors in my tires using my Milton Precision Digital Tire Pressure/Inflator Gauge. The previous values are what I saw, and recorded, as I left the dealer's shop. The next morning, Milton Pressure/Inflator Gauge, the values were spot on with what I recorded from the day before. I adjusted the air pressure in each tire to 35 PSI and as I left for a run to the store my pressure sensors reflected 35 PSI on all four tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts