Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello newbie here. Sorry didnt try the search function. I have an 07 GMC sierra classic. I put a Rough country levling kit on. It came with the premium 2.0 shocks.
has anyone else noticed how much stiffer it rides compared to the stock shocks ?
Is it a shock problem or should this be expected with the leveling kit ?
Any help or information would be appreciated.
ps the Rough country rep asked me about my the shape of the springs up front ? The truck has 100,000 mostly road miles. I just got the kit for looks as I am a 49 year old geezer who doesnt care much about off roading..Could the springs be the problem ?

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
I installed just the 2" leveling kit several months back. The kit did not come with shocks. With just that i did notice truck rides alot rougher than before. Thats why i will be installing the 3.5" premium kit as soon as i have time. Others have said it improves ride quality also over just the leveling kit. I hope they are right. Gonna be tough to tell though now since running an E load tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have experienc ewith these shocks? I wonder if a softer riding shock would help ? Someone mentioned Pro-Comp on another thread and said they ride much better.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
It probably rides rougher because you took away all the suspensions downward travel. Take a look at the control arm is it pegged against the bump stop? The best shocks in the world can't fix this problem.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Your leveling kit consisted of reindexed torsion keys. Basically what you did was crank your torsion bars tighter, therefor stiffening your springs. The result is you will now have a harsher, stiffer ride. There is no shock that can help this. If you want to level a torsion bar truck, you have to live with a harsh ride. Nothing you can do except reduce the preload on your torsion bars to get back a smoother ride.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had these shocks on my 4dr Jeep JK and didn't mind them at all. I have just ordered the same kit and will be installing it this weekend. I will let you know. I am new here, but have been doing my reading and I can't seem to find the correct answer about new keys. Some say they put more torque on the torsion bars and other say it repositions them using the same torque as before. ????????

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Your torsion bars are type of spring. Your torsion keys tighten or wind the spring. The leveling keys allow you to wind or tighten the spring further than the stock keys. The result of this is you lift the front of your truck but it causes a harsher ride, reduced suspension travel, bad Cv joint and ball joint angles which can result in premature failure of these parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.