Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have on 08 silverado z71 4x4 and am trying to decide on which lift to get. I currently have the 2 inch leveling kit and 295/55/20 Trail Grapplers. Would I notice a big difference in the 3.5 compared to where I am now or should I just opt out for the 5 inch. This is my DD and I don't want to kill my gas mileage by a few gallons but losing a couple won't hurt me. Any pictures of a 3.5 next to a leveled or stock silverado would really help. I just don't want to spend $475 and not notice that much of a difference. Post your pictures of your rig. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Here's some pics I borrowed from a member with his 2" leveled truck on stock tires & with his truck on 3.5" lift..with 285/70/17's

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Jack up the front another inch and a half and see if you can tell the difference, then climb in and out and see if it is something you want to live with as a DD. Then jack it up another inch and a half to simulate the 5 inch lift and repeat the process all over again. You can also drive the rear up on a couple of pieces of lumber to simulate the rear being up as well.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I would personally do the 5" lift. If you want an extra 1.5" you could always do a body lift. You can pick one up from Zone for $150. But you'll have much better suspension angles with the 5" than the 3.5". The only downside to it, imo, is that the front track is pushed out 2" on each side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DNW a 3.5 inch level you will have bad cv angles and parts are gona wear out quick. Go ahead and buy the 5 inch rcx and love the flat angles. The plus side is that if you want to go taller you can add a .5 or a 1 inch spacer and get 6 or 7 inches of lift and still have decent angles. If you are low on cash buy the 2.5 inch level and install a 1.5 BL and net 4 inches of lift.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The diff drop will only put your angles down to what a 2" levelling kit will do. The 5" also includes a cross member to correct the lower control arm angles. Something the 3.5" doesnt have. The 3.5" also doesn't address the tie rod angles, which the 5" does. There's more to suspension than just CV and UCA angles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
09chevyman said:
^^^ He's asking about the RC 3.5" lift that has a diff drop to correct cv angles to near flat..not a 3.5 level..
its technically still not a lift as it dont correct ball joint angles. When i say flat angles i mean cvs, upper and lower bjs and tres. Still DNW

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
While this lift may not correct the lower angles on ball joints, it's does correct the upper ball joints, if you purchase the RC premium kit with the RC uca's that correct the upper angles...and this kit IMO does not lift high enough to have a severe angle on the transfer case and front drive shaft.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It depends on how much lift you are going for??? I think thd the 3.5" is a great compromise!!!

Here are a few pics of my truck w/ 3.5" & bilstein 5100s set at +.57"...

And I still get 17-18mpgs on the interstate... using 275-65-18 & 3.73 gears

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know re-gearing for 6 inch with 35s is recommended but would it hurt to regear for 5? I dont know how much of a struggle it will be for the wheels to turn since its catching more air. Or would a tune make a world of difference?

·
Registered
31 Posts
it doesnt matter how much lift you have to regear its all bout tire size i say 5 inch rcx and 33s you will have a hard time fiting 35s with the5 inch rcx with the nnbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.