Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2013 Silverado 1500 LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow truck enthusiasts! New to the forum, but long time Chevy driver.

Currently own a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT and have noticed an odd issue when refueling my gas tank. I typically don't refuel until I'm less than 50 miles left on the tank meter. When I start refueling, the fuel nozzle will disengage repeatedly until I get about 3-4 gallons of fuel in the tank. The disengage is the same as if the tank were full and nozzle trigger releases. So I have to barely squeeze the gas nozzle until it gets enough gas in the tank, then I can lock the trigger and continue fueling and full pace. If i try and squeeze the trigger all the way before this is will disengage. Maybe I'm impatient, but it is frustrating the heck outta me. Seems as if there's a sensor may sensing some splashing at bottom of tank? Anyone else see this issue or experienced it?

I've driven the below Chevrolet's and not had this issue until this '13 Silverado. Thanks for any tips - not sure if anything I can do but just curious if it is a known issue.

'92 2WD Blazer
'97 Silverado Z71
'06 Tahoe LT
'13 Silverado LT

Thanks,

· Registered
45 Posts
My 2015 Sierra does the same thing. Usually get 4 or 5 gallons in it then it drinks it up with no issues.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I saw a thread were this problem was reported by many members and there were dozens of posts in the thread but no-one actually found a solution and posted it. If OP or someone else has the fix for this, I hope it gets posted. I can't believe that that many people just learn to live with it.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have the same issue. I have to hold the fuel nozzle up (actually, I hold the handle up and the nozzle in the tank points down) so it stays on. I've never tried letting go after a few gallons, though. I thought it had to do with the vapor recovery nozzles we have here in California.

· Registered
2013 Silverado 1500 LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and info! At least I know I'm not the only one and not crazy. At least regarding this.

No collision damage I'm aware of. Bought it used after original owner couldn't handle payments about a year in. Lucky me. May try the nozzle upside down or just keep trying to find the sweet spot. Never recall this in any previous chevys.

Thanks again!

· Registered
3,282 Posts
Sounds like the easiest thing is don't let it drop below a 1/4 tank.
There's also a theory that the fuel cools the pump and not letting the tank below 1/4 can increase the life of your fuel pump.

As well all know, the last 1/4 tank goes faster then the previous three 1/4's, by filling up at 1/4 tank you reduce your chances of being busy, in a hurry, being stuck in an 8 mile back up because of "that guy" and then being "that other guy" making it a 12 mile back up waiting for AAA or mom to bring you some gas too :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Either you didn't read my post or you didn't understand it.

Go under the truck and find the charcoal canister, then follow the hose to the vent valve nearby. On the other side of the vent valve, follow the hose to the filter up by the transmission. The filter is probably plugged, if it can't pass air freely it will cause a fueling problem.

· Registered
2013 Silverado 1500 LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GMT604 - I will try and explore that as well. And I will probably fill up sooner than later.

· Servicemen
1,097 Posts
subscribed, it happens to my 11 all the time. I am going to check the filter mentioned above.

· Registered
96 Posts
This is a very common issue for large capacity tanks. My 2007.5 5.3L has the 25 gal tank and it happens all the time. A lot of it has to do with how modern fuel systems work and how the handle at the pump works:

Modern fuel systems need a certain amount of "fumes" in the tank, above the liquid fuel line. As the tank empties, you get more and more fumes filling up the tank. If you get down to the refuel light, let it sit outside on a warm day, and THEN try to refuel, you will constantly trigger the pump shutoff in the handle.

On every pump handle there is a tiny hole that runs along the metal fuel pipe (a venturi port). This feeds back to the vapor / pressure shutoff in the handle. This is how it automatically shuts off when the tank is full; it senses the full condition and the fuel vapor pressure.

When you let the tank gets so low that there are a lot of fumes, it will contstantly trigger the shutoff. Two easy tips to avoid this:

1. Refuel in the mornings / early mornings. When it's cold, it helps with the fumes and also helps the gas. (gas from pump will have less fumes. same reason they bury the tanks under the gas station).

2. Refuel before you get below 1/4 tank; this helps minimize the gas fumes in the tank and makes refueling easier.

This is also why sometime it can fuel "barely squeezing the trigger" and not full flow: as you fill the tank, the gas displaces the fumes and pushes them up and out of the filler neck. At full flow, this likely triggers the shutoff but doesn't at partial flow. You can see this happening if you've ever refueled in the shadow of the sun: you can see the fumes rising from the tank distort the light near the shadow.

I'm unfamiliar with the mentions of a filter for the tank; there needs to be a certain amount of fumes and can't imagine venting them through a filter would be something installed, but could be likely. This is something I had to transition to when I went from a small sedan with a 12 gallon tank to a truck with a 25+ gal tank.

I hope this helps!

~Epyon

· Servicemen
1,097 Posts
Where is the solenoid located? I think I am going to change mine out.

· Registered
132 Posts
What I do:
Place the nozzle down into filler pipe normally, then pull it outward about an inch or so. Tilt the nozzle handle downward/outward (use the weight of the hose to let gravity and friction hold it in the filler pipe in this position). Then squeeze the handle to start the flow. This extra space seems to alleviate the lack of air flow that trips the auto shut off.

ps: This is not a new issue. I remember it happening on several vehicles when I had an after school job at a service station way back in the dark ages (I mean in the 1960's) :-0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.